Dream Cymbals

Im trying to get a new set of dream cymbals.I was thinking a set of 15'' dream bliss hats a dream bliss 22'' ride and a dream bliss 20'' crash/ride.Would the cymbals work well for old funk music like james brown, old soul music like al green, motown and classic 60s and 70s rock and old jazz.My favorite drummers are steve jordan,al jackson jr.,keith carlock,benny greb,the motown drummers and the james brown drummers, would the cymbals be close to what they use. Thanks Peace.

These are great hats. I have the 15's. strongly recommend, great buy. They are still low prices til people discover them more. I am very impressed with Dream and now thinking to get the 22 ride sometime. They could work for many forms of music,I would say they are warm but bright. If you like Steve Jordan you would like these hats but beware in the Dream series, consistency of sound in the same size/model varies (unlike for example Paiste) so each cymbal differs.

I wrote a small review that nobody here maybe ever saw
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91174

I've owned several Dream rides, and listened to dozens more while trying to find one that had the sound I was looking for. Simply put they are WAY too inconsistent to buy unheard because there is so much variety in their lines.

In general the Bliss line is pretty thin; for the sound you're looking for you might be better off looking into some used vintage Zildjian A's.

I have a Dream 20 energy that I use all the time for old rock&roll and blues. I have Zildjian 20 inh K model that I purchased new in 1959 and I use the Dream most of the time. jz

They sell them in lynchburg virginia but they have vary few there.any help

The only place they sell then in virginia is lynchburg and they dont have that much.Any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played numerous Zildjian's, Sabian and now Paiste cymbals. I used a mates kit for a recording and he had Dream cymbals and I was blown away. I thought they were superb. I have been toying with switching from Paiste to Dream as I was so impressed with the cymbals...

I bought a Dream 20" Bliss ride from Virtual Cymbals because with the video recordings you have some idea how it's going to sound. And they select the ones they want to sell and dump the rest off somewhere else. Pretty highly inconsistent. Even more so than Zildjians. But you can find some great ones. As far as suitability for old school blues and R&B, June Core played mine and immediately went looking for one for himself. It's not good for loud stuff but very workable. Every trad or jazz drummer that's tried it has commented on how many sounds you can get out of it.

I also have a set of 14" Bliss hats and again, they are very thin and not suitable for loud gigs, but they have a great old school trashy but not overly dark sound and record really well. A good set of 15"s would be great for R&B and that Steve Jordan/Toss Panos thing.

I have a 15" bliss hh and a really recomend it, and it would work for funk, blues or classic rock. if you ever need more stick definition just play the bottom on top and the top on bottom

Just for info: We had 2 identical Dream Cymbals threads started by the same original poster (but in various forum sections), plus another thread on the same topic. I've merged those threads into this one.

Last edited:
I also have a Dream 20" ride and a Dream 16" crash, both Bliss. I've had them for a couple months now and they just sound better with age. I'm thinking about buying some 14" Bliss hats. I love their vintage sound and I'd probably use them for jazz as I already have a decent pair of Sabian hats for fusion and rock. I love the wash the hats have and the warm chick that doesn't cut too much but is always present. Any thoughts? 14" vs 15"?

I have a set of Dream Bliss cymbals, 14 inch hats, 2: 18 inch crashes, a 20 inch crash/ride and a 22 ride. I also recently purchased a set of Paiste 2002 15 inch SE hats, 18 inch crash, 18 inch med crash, 20 inch crash and a 24 inch ride.

I enjoy both the Dream Bliss and the Paiste equally and though I have tried combining them a few times I found I was not happy with the overall sound of the combined brands.

So now depending on what I'm playing I use one or the other not both together but I still love them both.

Has anybody here played the 24" Half-cup ride?
It sounds delicious on Dream's website.

Has anybody here played the 24" Half-cup ride?
It sounds delicious on Dream's website.

I own one and have a video at www.youtube.com/sgtthump. I would give you a direct link, but I cant right now (on phone.)

Very cool dark and sorta trashy tone with TONS of wash. Sounds like a freighttrain!

Mine is the Contact version. Im actually about to sell it and several other cymbals to downsize some.

Thanks Sarge. I had only seen the Bliss iteration, didn't know about the Contact one. Doh!

There's a lot of sound there; probably great for carrying a smaller ensemble.

I like it.

What is the K crash to the right?

Thanks Sarge. I had only seen the Bliss iteration, didn't know about the Contact one. Doh!

There's a lot of sound there; probably great for carrying a smaller ensemble.

I like it.

What is the K crash to the right?

Thanks! That's an 18" K Dark Thin Crash that sounds great (to me!)

i just bought a bliss 24 inch ride,one of the best cymbals I've ever owned.Great for playing jazz. Excellent stick definition very clear and crisp with a dark wash.

I have 20 dream energy that I use most of the time, I had been using a 21 zildjain K that I purchased new in 1959 and still use it sometime but like the clear sound of the dream better. jz.

Back