Dream Cymbals

Grace :)

Hey,

For the past few years I've been playing with zildjian a custom cymbals (with projection crash and ride) but although theyre obviously great cymbals they're just not exactly what I'm looking for.

I bought the cymbals used and as I have a limited budget, so would be looking to buy a set of cymbals for the price I could sell the a customs for -and I stumbled across dream cymbals. I've read lots of positive feedback about them...but I'm confused whether they're a mid-range cymbal or top range level of cymbal (like a customs, paiste signatures, etc.)

I play mainly pop, funk, etc. with some light rock in there too. Does anybody who has ever owned/used these have any useful feedback? Are they worth the money and what kind of style are they best suited to? (Obviously I plan to go to a shop to play them before I buy but it's a massive trek to the nearest stockist here in the UK, so I was just hoping I could clarify whether they're worth checking out or if its best to leave them)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fox622003

Gold Member
They are great, professional cymbals. They are cheaper because they are a lesser known brand. But all are hand hammered, B20 Bronze (just like the top of the line Zildjian and Sabian). I think they are quite suited for the styles you mentioned, and also very nice for jazz applications.
HERE's a link of a demo of Dream Bliss and Contact Series cymbals in a light funky/fusion music setting.
Check out Stagg cymbals as well, they have a wide array of cymbal lines, and I think are even cheaper than Dream cymbals.
With these hand hammered, lesser known-brand cymbals, you have to always keep in mind to try before you buy, several of the same line and size if possible, because they are usually quite inconsistent between cymbals.

Fox.

Turks

I have 14" Contact hi-hats and a 16" Contact crash.

I really, really like the hi-hats, which I bought because they had a more solid 'chick' than the Bliss series and stacks more character than any of the main brands I tried in the same price range. I've had them for a couple of months now I'm well satisfied with them.

The crash was bought 2nd hand from ebay. I was a little disappointed at first; I'd just got a 17" Stagg Furia which I loved straight away. The Contact series are B23 bronze, which gives the cymbals a different timbre to the B20 stuff. I was playing it with the band for the first time last week and in that setting, however, it performed really well, providing a nice contrast to the Stagg when we were rocking out but complimenting the hi-hats in mid-groove crashes. In short, I'm pleased I got now, especially for the second hand price.

In terms of affordable cymbals with a decent hand hammered sound, I'd recommend both the Dream and Stagg stuff. Both definitely good value for money.

?uesto

Silver Member
Yeah, Dream is a great company as far as I'm concerned. Very cheap, but very nice sounding. I'm looking into some of these newer overseas companies, that do Hand Made B20 cymbals for a good price. Dream is up there with Soultone, Stagg, and countless others..

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I just bought a Dream china. It is absolutely perfect. I knew it was the one for me when my wife cringed everytime I hit it in the store. The best part is I only paid like $80 for it. The cymbals are great and the price cant be beat.

I had actually walked in looking to buy a Wuhan to replace my broken one and ended up walking out with the Dream. Same price, but the Dream sounds terrible, it is the perfect China in that regard.

Ok thanks for all the helpful info and feedback. Ill definitely look into getting some

just wondering...would the dreams ever sound at home with zildjian a customs? -Im thinking about getting a crash this weekend and seeing how i like that before selling my zildjians to swap over. Would that work or would the dream crash just sound stupid in the mix?

daredrummer

Gold Member
They're too washy for me, but if you like washy cymbals, then these are great, top quality. However if you don't like too much wash, maybe try another budget brand, like Stagg.

Fox622003

Gold Member
They're too washy for me, but if you like washy cymbals, then these are great, top quality. However if you don't like too much wash, maybe try another budget brand, like Stagg.
That's true; you can almost tell it by just looking at them.

Fox.

braincramp

Gold Member
The crash/rides are way too washy..they are thin crashes at best..they are made in China (cheap price) they are very inconsistent..I have a 20" crash/ride and love it though it is very dark and somewhat trashy ...not a good mix with the A Customs but a nice ..change of pace sound... I had a K custom complex dry ride and got rid of it it sounded way too much like the dream cymbals which are a quarter of the price...the energy series cost more but would mix alot better with the A's.(much brighter)...I had a set of hats and they are in the top 5 hats I have ever played.. Great Cymbals at a great price!

daredrummer

Gold Member
The crash/rides are way too washy..they are thin crashes at best..they are made in China (cheap price) they are very inconsistent..I have a 20" crash/ride and love it though it is very dark and somewhat trashy ...not a good mix with the A Customs but a nice ..change of pace sound... I had a K custom complex dry ride and got rid of it it sounded way too much like the dream cymbals which are a quarter of the price...the energy series cost more but would mix alot better with the A's.(much brighter)...I had a set of hats and they are in the top 5 hats I have ever played.. Great Cymbals at a great price!
I imagine the hats and crashes would blend better than the rides. Even the energy rides have a lot of wash.

05WideGuy

I've tried some dream cymbals and liked quite a few, one thing I found on several dream crashes is, one cymbal can have two different sounds depending on where you strike it. For this reason you should only buy these cymbals after trying them; just like the Sabian SR-2's.

Thanks for everyones help with the cymbals

I went to the shop on Friday and was absolutely amazed by the sound of the cymbals. The cymbals did have very different sounds to others of the same size and model in some instances but I managed to find one I liked.

I actually came away with a 16" bliss crash a 10" bliss pang splash and a 12" contact splash. They all seem very versatile i've looked at mixing the 16 crash and 12 splash to make a trashy stack cymbal which sounds great and obviously I can also use them as an individual splash or crash too. And I've currently got the china splash stacked with an 8" splash and it sounds amazing! I couldn't be more happy with the cymbals and I got a fantastic deal! (the guy in the shop knocked about £50 off the total for me in all)

I also found that the cymbals whether used on their own or in stacks actually fitted fairly well with my a customs (I purposefully chose the darkest sounding of the ones they had in the shop)

I'd definitely recommend these cymbals, they're fantastic!

Fox622003

Gold Member
Stagg and Dream cymbals are awesome for stacks. I have a 10" Black Metal splash with a 10" SH China on top in it sounds great as well.
Good call on taking a shot at Dream.

Fox.