Dream Cymbals

Rolltide

Dark Matter Crash and Moon ride have my attention as well as the paper thin19 and 20 crashes. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I have never heard these cymbals in person -

I have a 22” bliss paperthin, haven’t heard the others in person but overall great cymbals in general for the price.

In my opinion, Dream makes awesome crashes and hi-hats. Their rides are not quite as good though because they tend to be too complex and washy.

I have a Dream Bliss Paper Thin 19" crash and it's amazing. I might even like it more than my K Sweet 19" crash, it's that buttery and satisfying to hit. My 14" Dream Bliss hats are awesome too. I'll never part with either of them.

I haven't played a Dark Matter crash or Moon ride though. My experience is with the Bliss and Contact lines.

In my opinion, Dream makes awesome crashes and hi-hats. Their rides are not quite as good though because they tend to be too complex and washy.

I have a Dream Bliss Paper Thin 19" crash and it's amazing. I might even like it more than my K Sweet 19" crash, it's that buttery and satisfying to hit. My 14" Dream Bliss hats are awesome too. I'll never part with either of them.

I haven't played a Dark Matter crash or Moon ride though. My experience is with the Bliss and Contact lines.
I 100% agree. My 22” paperthin is super dark and buttery (I use mine as a crash)

I 100% agree. My 22” paperthin is super dark and buttery (I use mine as a crash)
I’m heavily considering pulling the trigger on a 22” Dark Matter Flat Earth Ride because I just love my paperthin that much.

I’m heavily considering pulling the trigger on a 22” Dark Matter Flat Earth Ride because I just love my paperthin that much.
The Youtube Thought Police want to remind you...

LLwCntv.png

Honestly, Dreams are kind of one of those cymbals you really have to play in person. I find them basically the opposite of something like a Paiste, where Paiste cymbals are pretty darn consistent. Dreams are wildly different, but all are very complex in sound and have a certain trashy/gongy type character to them.

Last edited:
I have many Dream cymbals and they are all fantastic! I've played the Moon Ride in person, which was designed for Rick Latham. Very heavy and pingy, but very dry and controlled. The Dark Matter crashes are standard Energy series crashes that have been "re-fired". Dry and dark but not as thin/buttery as other Dream models. The Paper Thins are great. I have a 20" and 22" Paper Thin, and they are among my favorites. They do have sound samples on their website.

I take that back, Dream came out with their new “Dark Matter Bliss” series which combines the two lines into one! I heard the 22 DM Bliss Crash Ride and I think that might be what I choose instead of the Flat.

Dream's prices have gone up significantly in the last few years. Check out Stagg's offerings... I'm not kidding. They don't have quite the large portfolio as dream but they've got several comparable models made of B20 for very low prices. They've also got silent cymbals, rubber cymbals, FX cymbals, various tiers of models, etc.

I was looking at the moon ride and was pumped when I randomly found one in the wild to tap on... It was very 'blah' and I was underwhelmed. Two of my favorite rides I've ever owned are the Earth ride and the Uptown ride so I do like dry crusty cymbals.

Last edited:
Another note about Stagg, I would put money on 9 out of 10 average musicians not being able to hear a difference between their SH line and Zildjian A's... At less then half the price in most cases.

Another note about Stagg, I would put money on 9 out of 10 average musicians not being able to hear a difference between their SH line and Zildjian A's... At less then half the price in most cases.
I’ve heard some Staggs and they’re nice, my old middle school had a 20” medium brilliant for the jazz band

I’ve heard some Staggs and they’re nice, my old middle school had a 20” medium brilliant for the jazz band

I've been eyeing up the SH 12" mini hats for years, depending on current sales they seem to fluctuate between $80-$110 for a pair brand new. Could be more now, I haven't looked in a few months.

Back