Dr. Lonnie Smith

This guy is new to me, but he sounds pretty good. I like the "kieth jarrett" type babbling.

Dr. Lonnie Smith is one of the original badass organ players from back in the day and he's still kickin' those basslines today.

He got his start with George Benson. They had only two songs in their arsenal, went down and got gigs. They were first heard on, I believe, George Benson's "Uptown". But Dr. Lonnie Smith really got going on all of those old Lou Donaldson albums from th elate 60s. Alligator Boogaloo. Midnight Creeper. Mr. Shing-A-Ling.

One of my favorite albums of his came out a few years ago called "Too Damn Hot". Check it out. Greg Hutchinson is on drums. You can't go wrong.

You can also get some video on iTunes. Check out "The Killer Bs" episode of Legends Of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis.

I was about 16 when I first heard Jimmy Smith. He had a top 40 song, I Got My Mojo Workin" back in the day when a song was top 40 regardless of genre it seemed. Some of the old timers may remember him or the song. Same funky organ sound and great music to drum to.

Back