Downsized for the sake of simplicity

Neilage

@yammyfan , It looks like you opted for the 7x10 tom in your new setup.

I'm curious why you decided against the 8x12?
I'm also curious about which fundamental notes you are using.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Cbphoto, that’s a beautiful looking snare, and it must sound incredible too.
Seconded.

Chris the look of your snare drum is really growing on me.

I don't recall ever seeing this one before.

If I dug metal snares more than wood I would check it out

yammyfan

@yammyfan , It looks like you opted for the 7x10 tom in your new setup.

I'm curious why you decided against the 8x12?
I'm also curious about which fundamental notes you are using.
Photos can be deceiving. :) The tom is indeed 8x12. The cymbals look smaller than they really are, too.

As far as notes go, I've tuned the rack tom to 126 Hz which is roughly a second octave B and the floor tom is tuned to 78 Hz which is essentially a second octave E flat. They're close to a Perfect 5th apart. I've had the rack tom a bit higher and the floor tom a bit lower (like 2-3 Hz further apart) and that works too so the "not necessarily tuned to notes" principle is alive and well.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Seconded.

Chris the look of your snare drum is really growing on me.

I don't recall ever seeing this one before.

If I dug metal snares more than wood I would check it out
The Star 1-ply maple? I’m confused.

01D080E7-A950-48A1-8EFF-EC5CC2CF6146.jpeg

Pootle

I always take gear out with the view of how the 3am version of me feels having just got home after a long drive having to take it back into the house.

Agreed, I’m actually thinking about trading my Hardcases for soft bags for this reason. Even a 20” in a hardcase can feel like solid lead in the early hours..

mikyok

Platinum Member
Agreed, I’m actually thinking about trading my Hardcases for soft bags for this reason. Even a 20” in a hardcase can feel like solid lead in the early hours..

If you're only transporting the kit in your car, soft cases make perfect sense. I have one of the Pearl Midtown soft cases which I can get my 12 and 14 in together.

Anything involving vans and touring is a different sport!

River19

My current kit is technically an 8,10,12,14,22 but I also swapped to a 1up 1 down configuration about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Played 3 rack toms for ~25 years and like others felt obligated to use them all at times and then found myself stuck in some ruts and patterns. I used the downsizing to force myself to explore learn and adapt and I think I now play more musically and solid than ever before. I'm very much a player shooting for groove and tasteful fills like Porcaro etc and the 3 racks etc. made me feel like I had to channel Weckl which wasn't my "thing".

I have added a 13" side snare which has really opened things up a ton.....love it.....so many texture and feel options for verse vs. chorus etc.

The OP's kit is really nice an clean and I fully support your love of the 17" crash.....I have had a 17 K Dark for over a decade that is my primary and I love it.....I also have a 19" A Medium Ride from the early 90s that I bought new that is actually a fantastic crash for me......and I leave off all my 18" for the most part now......