Down the rabbit hole: attempting super low cost pancake kit

Frank

Gold Member
Thought I would share some of this for your possible entertainment value.

I have had the thought to attempt to assemble a very low cost pancake kit. Note that DW's pancake kit is 900 USD.

What you see in the picture is: a 20 dollar frame drum shell, with a good drum head and a drum rim, using frame drum tuners.

Bearing edges aren't cut yet, and it already sounds good. After bearing edges, I'm sure it will be better.

I don't have concerns about the strength of the shell, especially the way I play. My biggest concern at this moment is - the strength of the very cheap frame drum tuners.
I might need to find stronger versions of those.

1. Thoughts, throwing of rotten fruit? :)Pancake.png

2. Anyone know where I can get better frame drum tuners?

If I make this to the finish line, the shell bearing edges will be prepped by the masters at - Precision Drum Co.

It will be an interesting challenge to build a low cost pancake kit that all fits in one bag. :)

roncadillac

Thought I would share some of this for your possible entertainment value.

I have had the thought to attempt to assemble a very low cost pancake kit. Note that DW's pancake kit is 900 USD.

What you see in the picture is: a 20 dollar frame drum shell, with a good drum head and a drum rim, using frame drum tuners.

Bearing edges aren't cut yet, and it already sounds good. After bearing edges, I'm sure it will be better.

I don't have concerns about the strength of the shell, especially the way I play. My biggest concern at this moment is - the strength of the very cheap frame drum tuners.
I might need to find stronger versions of those.

1. Thoughts, throwing of rotten fruit? :)View attachment 89944

2. Anyone know where I can get better frame drum tuners?

If I make this to the finish line, the shell bearing edges will be prepped by the masters at - Precision Drum Co.

It will be an interesting challenge to build a low cost pancake kit that all fits in one bag. :)
I would flip those frame drum tuner clip thingies. So the 'hook' is grabbing the bottom of the shell and the 'nut' is up top through the hoop's hole like a normal drum. Or, omit them entirely and feed the tension rods through the hoop and through the 'lug' already on the shell to a simple hardware store nut on the bottom.

Frank

Gold Member
Ok, next steps.

Here are some pics of before and after - with perfect bearing edges being cut by the masters at Precision Drum Co.

No bearing edges:
Frame - no bearing.png

Bearing edges cut by Precision Drum Co:
Frame - bearing.png

I also modified the lugs a bit - bending one side down.

I'm off to go tune up. Say a prayer. :)

Frame - lugs.png

Frank

Gold Member
Ok, so my, um, rework of those lugs killed them. :) They no longer fit inside the standard drum rim.

I need to go down the road of finding regular drum mini lugs.

Started looking, and I haven't found any super small lugs yet. If anyone has any leads, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

Frank

Gold Member
(Lack of) Progress update: :)

Lugs came in. They look great - quite a bargain. Next challenge - existing rods are too long. I need much smaller ones. Those are now on order.

Frame - long rods.png

Frame - rabbit hole.png