Double Strokes Around the Drums

haredrums

Silver Member
Hi Guys,

I just put up a video lesson on my blog about an application of double strokes around the drums. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73o_Yy1iDIc

I was wondering if you guys have any creative applications or phrasings of double stroke rolls that you like to use? There are so many interesting and cool sounding possibilities, I thought this would be a fun place to share them.

A

Anthony Amodeo

awesome as always Andrew

step one is actually something I go over with lots of my students on pretty much a daily basis

great exercise

great stuff

A

Anthony Amodeo

Andrew, what is the ride cymbal to your right?

it sounds fantastic

8Mile

Platinum Member
Another great video, hare.

I'm a doubles junkie, so I use them quite a bit around the drums. I especially like using the RLLRRLLR variation and it orchestrates nicely around the kit. I would just add that I like dropping bass drum doubles in as a variation.

Taking that a step further, it's fun to play the standard ride pattern with right hand, keep 2 and 4 on the hi-hats and play doubles between right foot and left hand as triplets. Some interesting coordination challenges there!

haredrums

Silver Member
Another great video, hare.

I'm a doubles junkie, so I use them quite a bit around the drums. I especially like using the RLLRRLLR variation and it orchestrates nicely around the kit. I would just add that I like dropping bass drum doubles in as a variation.

Taking that a step further, it's fun to play the standard ride pattern with right hand, keep 2 and 4 on the hi-hats and play doubles between right foot and left hand as triplets. Some interesting coordination challenges there!
Oh yeah!

That is a good one. Have you seen the John Riley video where he goes through all the triplet permutations at warp 9? Good stuff.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Oh yeah!

That is a good one. Have you seen the John Riley video where he goes through all the triplet permutations at warp 9? Good stuff.
great vid

and quite inspiring

great PDFs attached as well

diegobxr

Silver Member
Andrew, thanks for sharing your vids, that was really inspirational and you are an EXCELLENT player.

I remember when I was 12 and was beggining drum lessons, my teacher tried to teach me jazz and I said to him "No, I don't like that, I'm never gonna play jazz, so don't bother, I'm not gonna practice it".. I just wanted to play "Basket Case" by Green Day.

Of course I'm trying hard to learn how to play jazz now, but damn, 11 years lost. What a stupid teen. :/

I admire jazz drummers.

Cheers!

haredrums

Silver Member
Andrew, thanks for sharing your vids, that was really inspirational and you are an EXCELLENT player.

I remember when I was 12 and was beggining drum lessons, my teacher tried to teach me jazz and I said to him "No, I don't like that, I'm never gonna play jazz, so don't bother, I'm not gonna practice it".. I just wanted to play "Basket Case" by Green Day.

Of course I'm trying hard to learn how to play jazz now, but damn, 11 years lost. What a stupid teen. :/

I admire jazz drummers.

Cheers!
Hi Diego,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am glad to hear you are going after the jazz thing now, better late than never. There is all kinds of good advice on this forum for aspiring jazz drummers.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Don't forget double strokes with your feet! Lately, I've been doing a lot of trash-canning with this pattern:

||: RH RH LH LH RF RF :||

8Mile

Platinum Member
Oh yeah!

Yes, it's amazing. John is amazing and a big inspiration to me. I envy young drummers coming up today who have access to all the information that's available on the web. I would have killed for that when I was starting out. You couldn't just click on YouTube videos and learn from the masters. It's so much better now.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm not sure how I missed your videos/lessons before but I will be back. Great job teaching

haredrums

Silver Member
Don't forget double strokes with your feet! Lately, I've been doing a lot of trash-canning with this pattern:

||: RH RH LH LH RF RF :||
+1

Also, thanks for checking it out Gruntersdad! Let me know if you have any cool patterns or ideas for double stroke application.