double stroke roll

Mukund

Till date i dont know whats the technique to play this rudiment
do we have to use rebound or fingers or what?
can anyone give a detailed explanation

I think you could ask this question in the other thread you made. Also - both this and the other question would be more appropriate for the Drumming Technique thread.

This kinda thing has been gone over a thousand times. Do a forum search for double stroke roll.

Make sure to differentiate the double stroke roll and the double bounce roll. The double stroke roll is wrist, at least at relatively slower speeds, where you have two individual strokes (two singles per hand), which you would use for paradiddles (usually with an accent on the first stroke. Single stroke, single stroke, double stroke), and the double bounce roll is where the second stroke is the result of a bounce. So you strike the drum once and let it bounce once, alternating hands. The method with the bounce will allow you to play at much faster speeds than using the non-bounce method.

A lot of people just associate double strokes with bounces only, but there are two ways of playing it.

Make sure to differentiate the double stroke roll and the double bounce roll. The double stroke roll is wrist, at least at relatively slower speeds, where you have two individual strokes (two singles per hand), which you would use for paradiddles (usually with an accent on the first stroke. Single stroke, single stroke, double stroke), and the double bounce roll is where the second stroke is the result of a bounce. So you strike the drum once and let it bounce once, alternating hands. The method with the bounce will allow you to play at much faster speeds than using the non-bounce method.

A lot of people just associate double strokes with bounces only, but there are two ways of playing it.

Very semantical approach, for mine. A double stroke roll by very definition is RR LL. The terminology doesn't equate to speed. It just is.

Whether they are played by using the wrist to make two seperate strokes at slower speeds or by utilising rebound and even the fingers at higher speeds, doesn't change the fact that it's still a double stroke.

Back