DOUBLE STROKE ROLL

Hi guy’s

I’ve been working on my double stroke roll, practicing the push pull method. As I’ve been trying to speed it up I don’t feel like I’m using my fingers for the second stroke, my strokes sound weak and not very even. I dunno if it’s a timing issue or a finger technique problem. I’ll record a video tonight and share it hopefully someone could give me a suggestion.

Last edited:
...my strokes sound weak and not very even.

FWIW, I didn't make any real progress with double strokes until I took some advice from Gene Krupa's drum method book.

He suggested learning how to play the double stroke rudiments using a buzz roll or "closed roll" instead of clean doubles. The first task is to get them up to usable speeds, then worry about cleaning them up.

I started practicing rudiments and drills at relatively quick tempos with buzzed or closed rolls, then at slow tempos with clean doubles. I went back and forth and gradually the gap between the two started to narrow.

I'm still not a great player of double strokes, but I made a lot more progress with that approach than any other.

FWIW, I didn't make any real progress with double strokes until I took some advice from Gene Krupa's drum method book.

He suggested learning how to play the double stroke rudiments using a buzz roll or "closed roll" instead of clean doubles. The first task is to get them up to usable speeds, then worry about cleaning them up.

I started practicing rudiments and drills at relatively quick tempos with buzzed or closed rolls, then at slow tempos with clean doubles. I went back and forth and gradually the gap between the two started to narrow.

I'm still not a great player of double strokes, but I made a lot more progress with that approach than any other.
Thanks man I’ll give that a go

The biggest factor in getting them to sound consistent is not just letting the stick flap back down. It sounds like you are on the right track but you really have to snap that stick back down for the second note or it won't get anywhere near the momentum of the first note that you whipped down from height.

It sounds weird, but when I was learning this, I liked to do a "exercise" wherein I made the goal to have the second note be markedly louder than the first. DO NOT RELY ON REBOUND, USE IT!

Back