Double stroke on single bass drum pedal?

DavidMalan

I've spent a lot of time the past few months trying to get my single pedal doubles clean and up to speed, particularly when playing something like "ah-3-and" on the foot. That beginning 16th note can be tricky sometimes.

I've found that it doesn't really pay to try to rigidly stick with one technique. I play heel up, heel down, heel-toe, along with Matt Ritter's technique from his excellent video Unburying The Beater.

Playing punk, you might not want to hear this but you have to start slow first. Also, practice to a metronome and record yourself. A lot of times, what seems like you are nailing it, a recording shows us just how much we suck...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I’m teaching quick double and triple stroke techniques on the single bass pedal, I find it helps to watch the student’s foot closely. Typically, there are two main movements that people gravitate towards when moving their foot to get the quick second/third strokes out: sliding up and down the pedal or a side-to-side motion. Almost nobody leaves their foot in one position and just quickly plays them (but, I encourage them to practice that heavily, too…)

I would suggest either watching or recording your bass drum foot, and observe which motion you naturally tend to gravitate towards, and then work on maximizing that technique.

Stroke #1: press with toes
Stroke #2: drop foot

You can do this in reverse also. The beauty part is each stroke automatically leads to the next. With enough time and practice you can rip off double strokes with minimum effort.

I can play heel down but I generally like to tap it out with my toes and my heel lifted off pedal in two positions-so I don't slide so much as just have two favored positions. Position 1 is more toe and pad with my foot flatter parallel with plate (more heel down but still off plate) and heel bouncy in position 1 , and then I like position 2 for fast intricate stuff (like doubles, triplets)-where I shift my toes to Pos 2 and my heel goes up- so more pointed toes and heel further off pedal. Then rapid agitation of leg/foot/heel produces faster motion like a jack hammer with my toes pointed -but my toes act like a spring and where I gain control to play groupings of doubles or triplets or really any pattern (it's easy to rebound dribble the beater on the head for galloping triplets like Lone Ranger theme song or Bonanza theme song). My hi hat foot I'm either in POS1 or I move up and grab chain with between big toe and next toe for more control- so oddly different.
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 4.45.10 PM.png

Last edited:
My hi hat foot I'm either in POS1 or I move up and grab chain with between big toe and next toe for more control- so oddly different.
Wow that's a hell of a technique!
Do you have a video tutorial for it?
What grease do you use then for the chain? It must be at the same time very resistant as well as very easy to clean off your toes! Or is it just "skin colour"?
🤣

slide, twist, fast twitch, and
ross pivot.gif/swivel

Yep I think everyone needs to find what works for them-my Pos 1 is basically like Collin Bailey (maybe heel a little more up but I have little ankle flexibility from old injuries)-so my heel does like his bouncy (he doesn't keep it flat on pedal). I understand why people get all caught up in technique but I've seen so many fabulous players with what most would call terrible technique-you have to wonder does it really matter. I just posted what I do-what works for me, and I know everyone has their "thang". I'd expect that kind of diversity-much like stick grips and what not. If you have fantastic technique and chops but still sound like crap what purpose does that serve-I think musicality and the art in playing with good taste carries more weight. I understand Dave Mathews plays guitar unconventionally (?) and I really wouldn't want him to change that for some technical issue. If you play open handed well-then no need to cross over to the other side-and vice versa.

I've spent a lot of time the past few months trying to get my single pedal doubles clean and up to speed, particularly when playing something like "ah-3-and" on the foot. That beginning 16th note can be tricky sometimes.

I've found that it doesn't really pay to try to rigidly stick with one technique. I play heel up, heel down, heel-toe, along with Matt Ritter's technique from his excellent video Unburying The Beater.

Playing punk, you might not want to hear this but you have to start slow first. Also, practice to a metronome and record yourself. A lot of times, what seems like you are nailing it, a recording shows us just how much we suck...
Dude....did you just straight up quote my post?

Dude....did you just straight up quote my post?

TOTAL HIJACK WARNING!!!

The link to the thread above, the first post ends in a bunch of 1s and 0s. If you click on it, it goes somewhere and wants to send you notifications. WTF is that, over? And is that guy and the post copier (not @brady) bots?

Lots o fishiness goin on round these parts here lately.

Weird....the link works for me. At any rate, the OP seemed to start a thread with a quote of mine from back in April. No "reply" to my post, just looks like it was meant to appear as if it was his own statement.

Fishiness indeed....

Capture.PNG

Weird....the link works for me.
It works for me too. It's the 10.0.0.0.1 at the end that is a link to something. I'm not very computer savvy, so I was curious what exactly that link is. I'm guessing its some sort of bot thing but I have no idea.

To answer the OP I mostly use a foot equivalent of the Möller technique (funny I can't even do it very well with hands yet). This way I can make both notes equally loud (sounds like a flam), or the second note louder (sounds like a grace note).

It's bots. The opening post of this thread also contained some fishy links which I removed, too. Since there's substantial answers to both postings I'll leave them here.

It's a private address (non-internet routable), and usually the gateway on a local modem/router using the 10x address block.

In this case the IP-ish sequence was just the text of a link to a page with the same numerical sequence without the dots, followed by an obscure overseas TLD (can't remember which one, but looked like a country missing strong laws) - so no IP address, although it was meant to look like one I guess.

Here's a great one foot one beater kinda guy talking through his learning of one foot playing for metal

Back