Double Ply reso

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Anyone here use a Double Ply head as the reso side on their Toms? Personally I have not, however I've recently started using Drum Tacs for a bit of tone control. It was the recommendation of the company to try them on the bottom head instead of the batter and it sounds great! I'm wondering if using a thicker reso side head would have a similar effect.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've done clear Emperors on my toms once or twice and the result was good, I thought. Since the bottom head now resonates at a lower pitch, I managed to get those Eagle-thuds with coated Emperors on tops and clear Emperors on the bottom. I never tried the little muffling stickers but I would think the physics would mean you could eliminate using the stickers.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've tried two ply heads on my floor toms and they seem to work pretty good. My old 14 by 14 Yamaha just seem to ring and ring and ring. Put a two ply on the bottom and two ply on the top that seem to tone it down pretty good.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used two-ply heads on the bottom of my floor toms and I liked the result just fine, but I didn't like how they sounded on smaller toms. They were too dull and boxy sounding.

Ruok

Silver Member
I've heard that using a Black Dot head as a reso works great too. I haven't tried it, but I plan on it next time I change them.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I've done it, but it's certainly not my go to sound. All depends on what you're after. I just picked up two Yamaha 7000 series toms (14x10 and 18x16) and was quite surprised the prior owner had clear pinstripe head batter AND reso. Wow. OK. Guess that's fine if you want no overtones from your drums. So to each their own.

A controlled sound (black dot) is as muffled a reso. as I usually go. Most of the time ..... I use a clear or coated Ambassador reso.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
The genius who had my Pork Pie set before me had an Evans Genera dry on the reso side 14" floor tom. Sounded like pig rectum.