Double pedals? Double bass drums?

Just went thru some of my archives and found an audition I did with Jim McCarty from Cactus. The guy on the right was my drum tech, Doug Hall who went on to be the FOH sound engineer for Iron Maiden.

Double bass Ludwig Thermogloss Walnut stain. This was '73 or '74 I think. So yeah, I was doing the double thing 48 years ago. Bottom line. I'm old. I stopped using two kicks in '75.

View attachment 112576
I never got to see Cactus, but I did see him with The Rockets twice in their heyday, and I've worked with Mitch Ryder a handful of times. Very underrated dude.

What Crosstown gear?
My bad. Mistakenly, thought you had a post about it.

In solidarity with your double-bass hauling, while gear is heavy and often a bitch to load in & out, I look at it as exercise. Better than going to the gym!

My bad. Mistakenly, thought you had a post about it.

In solidarity with your double-bass hauling, while gear is heavy and often a bitch to load in & out, I look at it as exercise. Better than going to the gym!
No, you’re right. I do have Crosstown stuff. But with the double bass I have to use the 7- series stuff at least. Hi

Why stop at two kicks? Alex Van Halen usually had four. At one time he even had six! It looked like a drum factory.

Just remembered this topic. Another great reason to use 2 bass drums: stack the two cases for a free complementary drink and phone table ;)

2022-03-02 14.40.02.jpg

I hauled and set-up the big double bass kilt for about 10 years. When the double pedal came out I was like : Fuch! Where was this when I needed it.

I have a nice Sonar now with double pedals. I would still like to use two bass drums, but only if I was making enough money to pay a Roadie to haul and set it up for me.
You do know the correct spelling of the German Drum manufacturer is SONOR right ?
Sonar is device for fishing or searching for submarines .

You do know the correct spelling of the German Drum manufacturer is SONOR right ?
Sonar is device for fishing or searching for submarines .
Ha, yes I know the difference. I spelled it incorrectly in my name because I figured sonar would be taken. Now I forget and spell it both ways.

I have two bass drums and two BD pedals and setting them up has crossed my mind more than once. :)
I had a set of double pdals but they weren't very good, I got rid of them.

Last edited:
I'm not even approaching that level of foot proficiency. Right now I'm just happy to stick some 16th notes into certain grooves just so you know the second bass drum is being hit, or doing the occasional rolling thunder on the ends of songs. I'm no speed metal guy yet.

If that's all, then why use two kicks? It seems to not be a major component of your sound.

From a practical standpoint, it's a much better idea to teach and encourage using a double pedal. Don't rely on a more expensive option that doubles the floor space you need. Advocate what will work for the majority of drummers, not the minority with extra $$ and a big truck and extra stamina to haul extra kick and no worries about floor space. The former applies to probably 99% of drummers. The latter 1% is in the Bo category lol.

I'll consider switching to 2x bass drum over 1x bass drum and a dbl pedal when I can afford a roadie!

If that's all, then why use two kicks? It seems to not be a major component of your sound.

From a practical standpoint, it's a much better idea to teach and encourage using a double pedal. Don't rely on a more expensive option that doubles the floor space you need. Advocate what will work for the majority of drummers, not the minority with extra $$ and a big truck and extra stamina to haul extra kick and no worries about floor space. The former applies to probably 99% of drummers. The latter 1% is in the Bo category lol.
Count me in the 99%. I'm actually starting to develop some skillz with double bass, but never in a million years would I ever consider schlepping two to gigs. Most of the gigs I'll probably get will involve freaking out out over bringing a double pedal anyway, and I'll probably just disengage the remote pedal. A double pedal's cake to schlep, but not two bass drums.

Count me in the 99%. I'm actually starting to develop some skillz with double bass, but never in a million years would I ever consider schlepping two to gigs. Most of the gigs I'll probably get will involve freaking out out over bringing a double pedal anyway, and I'll probably just disengage the remote pedal. A double pedal's cake to schlep, but not two bass drums.
Wow. Tough crowd. You guys do you.

Wow. Tough crowd. You guys do you.
Hey man, I don't judge :D I think it's a great idea and I love to see sets with double bass. But it's like my buddy Willie says, any more than a 4-drum set and it's another trip to the vehicle.

Yes. I’ve always known I’m in that 1%. I’m just waiting for everybody else to catch up instead of whining about what they won’t do or carry around.

Yes. I’ve always known I’m in that 1%. I’m just waiting for everybody else to catch up instead of whining about what they won’t do or carry around.
Hey man, I just sold my first SVT, which is actually one of the very first ever made in 1969 and used to belong to Doug Ingle, the original keyboardist/singer of Iron Butterfly who wrote In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. I also sold my Heritage SVT rig to Mark Damon of The Pretty Reckless (name dropper). I didn't do all that to transfer that massive schlep from bass to drums!

:D

Back