Double pedals? Double bass drums?

Sonar Dave

I hauled and set-up the big double bass kilt for about 10 years. When the double pedal came out I was like : Fuch! Where was this when I needed it.

I have a nice Sonar now with double pedals. I would still like to use two bass drums, but only if I was making enough money to pay a Roadie to haul and set it up for me.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I applaud @Bo Eder for adding weight to his gig load! I hope the music he plays is a good fit for his mad footwerk. Now that he gets all that in only two loads of his cart, I need to know: What kind of cart does @Bo Eder use?

After studying his setup, I came to the conclusion that I'm a lazy dog and am very thankful my band plays one-bass-drum music.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I hauled and set-up the big double bass kilt for about 10 years. When the double pedal came out I was like : Fuch! Where was this when I needed it.
Yeah ..... me too. First double pedals were a bit ...... sloppy. But once that got sorted, I ditched carrying around that second bass drum.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I applaud @Bo Eder for adding weight to his gig load! I hope the music he plays is a good fit for his mad footwerk. Now that he gets all that in only two loads of his cart, I need to know: What kind of cart does @Bo Eder use?

After studying his setup, I came to the conclusion that I'm a lazy dog and am very thankful my band plays one-bass-drum music.
I have a 30-year Rock n Roller cart (when they were grey with red handles). The drums are usually on hard cases and get piled on the cart. The hardware is split between a rolling fiber trap case and a 4-foot hardware bag that rides on the trap case. One trip if there’s help, two trips if I do it myself.

Of course, I will use what the client wants and if the venue is too small (to drop a name) like when I sub for Bermuda in a local band, then obviously there’s only space for a 4-piece. But I do play in another band that seems to get much larger spaces to play that two bass drums is not a problem. I’d be like Ron Tutt playing for Elvis - he had all those drums but I think it was mostly
Visual.

River19

I went the other direction. Dropped the double pedal for a single 9000 and that works for what I play. The most complicated stuff I play with the kick is in the Bonham arena or Nikko.......if a single is good for them, then it's good enough for me. When I passed through the metal phase years ago I found I wasn't using the double for anything more than endings of songs or occasional 16th note lick and I can live without it.

For those committed to 2 kicks......more power to you.....there are no rules.....play whatever blows your hair back

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
The double bass looks and sounds awesome though-so all the ergonomic, energy saving reasonings for the double pedal, which I totally agree , just fall to the side. I see Louie Bellson and Ginger Baker in my mind (thinking hell yeah!!!).

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I do both... sorta.

I'll bring two kicks if I know the venue has the space for it, however far too many do not. Even when I do have two kicks on stage I'm only playing one with a double pedal. The main reason is for micing and tuning. It's very difficult to tune two drums to be exactly the same, not to mention costly with replacing heads. On top of that, a lot of venues don't have the available inputs or extra mics for both. The cons just out weigh the pros on this one.

This is a much more common practice than people might realize too. I've see tech photos from Joey Jordison, Ginger Fish, Tommy Lee, Kelly Keagy, all of them had two kicks, but used a double pedal on just one of them. The other was for show.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oh yeah one other plus for the pedal vs extra drum, not all sound guys have 2 kick mics. More than once did I run into this. Usually it was just put some other mic in the second kick and hope it works. One guy put his kick mic between the two drums.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
And beside Louie and Ginger's double bass drum kits I see Al Strange Cobalt/Pacific?? blue double bass Pearl Export-which now I've seen it so many times it's burned into my memory-hidden In my heart-and I can even smell the inside of his drums by empathic olfactory memory.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I went the other direction. Dropped the double pedal for a single 9000 and that works for what I play. The most complicated stuff I play with the kick is in the Bonham arena or Nikko.......if a single is good for them, then it's good enough for me. When I passed through the metal phase years ago I found I wasn't using the double for anything more than endings of songs or occasional 16th note lick and I can live without it.

For those committed to 2 kicks......more power to you.....there are no rules.....play whatever blows your hair back
I’ve spent my Entire career “the other way”.

someguy01

Platinum Member
I do both... sorta.

I'll bring two kicks if I know the venue has the space for it, however far too many do not. Even when I do have two kicks on stage I'm only playing one with a double pedal. The main reason is for micing and tuning. It's very difficult to tune two drums to be exactly the same, not to mention costly with replacing heads. On top of that, a lot of venues don't have the available inputs or extra mics for both. The cons just out weigh the pros on this one.

This is a much more common practice than people might realize too. I've see tech photos from Joey Jordison, Ginger Fish, Tommy Lee, Kelly Keagy, all of them had two kicks, but used a double pedal on just one of them. The other was for show.
Speaking of venues, were you at The Venue on 1/7? As I drove by on 36 I thought I saw the marquee reading Pretty Boy Floyd.

Darth Vater

Just went thru some of my archives and found an audition I did with Jim McCarty from Cactus. The guy on the right was my drum tech, Doug Hall who went on to be the FOH sound engineer for Iron Maiden.

Double bass Ludwig Thermogloss Walnut stain. This was '73 or '74 I think. So yeah, I was doing the double thing 48 years ago. Bottom line. I'm old. I stopped using two kicks in '75.

Double bass pic PP 1.jpg

petrez

Cool picture! Me and my band prefer using two bassdrums live if everything accomodates it (transport, setup time, venue), it just looks better for our style of music (thrash/heavy metal, the old school way), but I have no problem with using a double pedal if I have to. Then my Oak kit might get some action as well :p. I bring my own mics every time, so no worries about that unless the house mixer is really small and something has to give... At least that way I know the mics are good quality, not always the case with all venues, if they even have their own mics. Been gigging with two bassdrums as long as I can remember, since I got into metal in the late 90's/early 2000. I even choose my car(s) based on if it will fit a double bass kit or not, at least I've done so several times in the past. Now I have a family to think about as well, but that definately also requires a big car anyway...

Last edited:

Capital D

Depends where/what you're playing imo - metal gigs - have at it. Covers in a wedding band? Nah......
The beauty of double pedals is you can do 99% of the licks with none of the hassle. Tuning, heads, two mics, transport, stage space etc etc
Back in the day I had two kicks and never even put a pedal on the 2nd one - all for the look - I am older and wiser now.

Kind of in the same vein as all for the look. I think Ricky Lawson used a double pedal behind his two bass drums. The second bass drum was just for show.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Nothing like the balanced look of twin kicks. Being a teen in the 80's & raised on double kicks & power toms, this was my go-to look back then.
Not so much now as I don't play that level (or the kind of music that would require it), but I love the look.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
When I saw Slayer, the opening band was Napalm Death. Their drummer had what looked like a 5 piece with a "close enough looking" second kick. He had a double pedal. Testament, Anthrax, Lamb of God, and Slayer all used the second kick.