Double pedaling problems...

614Drums

I'm sorry to burden the DW forum with yet another thread about double bass playing and technique, but I'm in quite a quandary

Ok, here's my deal. I've been playing drums on and off for ages. I played fairly simple music for the first few years of playing so technique was never an issue for me. I just played.
So I've really dug myself into a hole as far as proper technique is concerned, but I'm working on it.

Problem 1: I've gone from being right footed, and right handed to left footed, and left handed when it comes to drumming. This absolutely baffles me. It's not such a problem with the hands, but it really messes me up when it comes to my feet it just messes me up... Does anyone know why this may have happened or what I can do to help. (I'm guessing just work with my right side more.)

Problem 2: I can do just about everything I want on the bass drum with each foot individually. I can do everything from slow straight forward beats, to 2-step like beats, and I can do singles well into the 240 bpm zone (think "The Black Dahlia Murder") singe foot blast speeds.
But I can't do any of it together... I simply can't do a RLRL single roll on my pedals.

Here's where my problem gets tricky, and convoluted... I can play single rolls (somewhat) really slow, and really fast. But I can't do it in the slow - medium - and high speed range. The range that I need to be the best at. EX: I can play 240 bmp + , and I can play like... whole note double bass (I know... If it doesn't make scenes I'm sorry. I'm self taught and I'm not sure of all the proper terminology) Anyway.. I can play REALLY slow haaah.

But I can't play in the golden zone (140-200) where I need to be.
I think it's a balance and technique issue. For a long time my brother and I were going to make a death metal, death-core band (IE: the black dahlia murder as show above) so I would do nothing but practice single stroke 1 footed blasts using ankle motion. A lot like George Kollias. And I think this messed things up for me. Because we've decided that it wasn't our style, and we are going to play Metal-Core, metal... Miss May I, The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria etc.

This music is basically double pedal rolls for ever...
I really need some help, I don't know what to do and I'm frustrated beyond belief. I can play faster and better with 1 foot then I can with both... =/

Also this might help; I have a very old throne. It's from the 70's and it's pretty lop sided / bumpy. I took a level to it, and it's got dents and odd pivots all over. If I get a new throne would it help my balance?
If you've got a bad opinion about the music I play, I could honestly care less. I'm just here for help, and to talk drums. So please keep that discussion for another thread =]

joeysnare

Silver Member
ill be honest i found your post confusing lol. but if i understand what your saying at all id recommend first buying a new throne, proper balance starts with a stable base. then get a meternome and start well below you problem speed and try hand excercises with your feet (triplets,flams,paradiddles and single strokes and on) give it a little time and i assure you your feet will improve. hope i understood your problem correctly and hope i helped.

614Drums

Yeah, I'm really sorry about how confusing this was. I looked at it later and kind of laughed.
Basically I can't do medium tempo drumming, but my feet can do everything I want them to individually I just can't put it all together.

I think a metronome and new throne would help.

Does a day go by when we don't get a new thread about double kicks?
Oh and Frost, not to be a dick or anything but
I'm sorry to burden the DW forum with yet another thread about double bass playing and technique, but I'm in quite a quandary
If you've got nothing positive or constructive to say why click on the thread? I mean, I think you aren't illiterate since you read my thread tittle and can type. Try not being so sarcastic. Not everyone plays jazz, or softer music. (Although I actually do, I'm just in a band that plays hard music...)

bryanmurr

Hey
I dont play double bass and im new to playing drums. I was having alittle trouble playing the bass drum and opening the hi hats. I could stomp both at the same time but pressing down on the kick and picking up my left foot at the same time gave me alot of problems. I bought a throne with a back rest because a friend told me it helped with their double bass drumming. It help me with my hi hat problem too. I still had to work hard but i believe it helps with balance. I know my problem and yours are not exactly the same. Im just trying to help.

Frost

Silver Member
Oh and Frost, not to be a dick or anything but
I have to apologise, it was an off-hand remark in no way directed specifically at yourself.

A new throne could have your balance, particularly if it wobbles, there are a few threads on double pass drumming that discuss practice techniques, a popular one is to sustain a set tempo for as long as you can, as soon as you lose it, stop, wait ten minutes and try again. You need to practice a tempo regularly to be able to play it regularly and accurately, you need to get used to the feel of going at a particular speed.

Problem 1: I've gone from being right footed, and right handed to left footed, and left handed when it comes to drumming. This absolutely baffles me. It's not such a problem with the hands, but it really messes me up when it comes to my feet it just messes me up... Does anyone know why this may have happened or what I can do to help. (I'm guessing just work with my right side more.)
Honestly, I have no idea what this means. Did you switch from leading with your right limbs to leading with your left?

Problem 2: I can do just about everything I want on the bass drum with each foot individually. I can do everything from slow straight forward beats, to 2-step like beats, and I can do singles well into the 240 bpm zone (think "The Black Dahlia Murder") singe foot blast speeds.
But I can't do any of it together... I simply can't do a RLRL single roll on my pedals.

Here's where my problem gets tricky, and convoluted... I can play single rolls (somewhat) really slow, and really fast. But I can't do it in the slow - medium - and high speed range. The range that I need to be the best at. EX: I can play 240 bmp + , and I can play like... whole note double bass (I know... If it doesn't make scenes I'm sorry. I'm self taught and I'm not sure of all the proper terminology) Anyway.. I can play REALLY slow haaah.
Here's the exercise I would try: play two bars of eighth notes with your right foot, then two bars of eighth notes with your left foot, then two bars of eighth notes with both of your feet together, then two bars of a 16th note single stroke roll. Derrick Pope mentions this method of practicing a technique in some of his videos; check out this one at about 14:40 (he's playing triplets, but the idea is the same): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSVhDsO9jc&feature=related. This should help you transition from single strokes with each foot to a single stroke roll. It's probably best if you start really slow and work your way up, but you can decide for yourself what will be most effective.

I think your tempo issues are pretty common. Different techniques are required at different tempos, so you might not master them all at the same time. Just be aware that sloppy playing can be harder to notice at higher tempos, so you might not be as good at those as you think.

Good luck!