Double pedal for a bebopper?

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I guess Rock guys would also be skeptical if you show up with congas instead of a hi hat. You better make that setup work if you don't want to get angry looks. :D

Right, you'd have to play exceptionally well, or be dismissed as an outsider to the scene who doesn't understand the music. That would happen in any area of music where you brought a weird piece of equipment. “WTF is that for, what's he planning on doing with that, is playing with him going to suck?”

someguy01

Gene Hoglan made use of: a glass ashtray, a trash can lid, a 70mm Field artillery shell casing, among other non standard percussive items.
All I'm saying is that it's been done and if someone doesn't want to play with you simply because of an equipment choice, that's a shame. They should at least give you the opportunity to see how you would incorporate said item.
Judgy McJudgertons are everywhere and they are an anchor on society.

ToneT

Nothing is off-limits. Rules are meant to be broken.
By all means, get your double pedal and spend time with it!
You can always provide the 2 and 4 hihat for those who want / need it.
Solos, and trading 4s and 8s are all yours to elaborate on and shine.
Who knows? You may come up with something everyone else really digs.

Are you using an 18", 20" ?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
At the very least, you will have a smoking hi hat foot and more independence between your feet if you learn the double pedal. Just RLRLRLRL does wonders for your foot coordination.

harryconway

Platinum Member
If you want it, get it. It's just a pedal, the world wont collapse because you have one.
(y) Exactly. I doubt the OP is gonna immediately go out on a gig with his "newly purchased" double-pedal, and start ripping blast beats at bop gigs. His pedals may never get to that "gig" stage. He may love the double-pedal ..... he may not. He won't find out until he has one.

On the other hand ..... if he starts setting up like THIS ..... some jazz heads might EXPLODE !!!! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• daru jones.jpg
    daru jones.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 6

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
On the other hand ..... if he starts setting up like THIS ..... some jazz heads might EXPLODE !!!! :ROFLMAO:
I dont think a Kangol hat is jazz appropriate either 🙂.

The thing that gets me the most about that setup is Daru's lower half. Look at the duck feet, and how the knee bends in to get there. Looks so uncomfortable.

someguy01

The thing that gets me the most about that setup is Daru's lower half. Look at the duck feet, and how the knee bends in to get there. Looks so uncomfortable.
I can't knock the duck feet, mine are naturally like that, er well were, until the doctor set the right one straight and jacked up everything about how I move.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Probably right, there.:ROFLMAO: I like to bust on Daru's set up, but he frickin' makes it work. And I really love that he's playin' a PDP New Yorker. Not some $4,000 kit. And I like that he's constantly going to drums not "normally" used in contemporary music. Like Salsa and Banda type snares. So kudos to him, for keeping it fresh ;)