Double kick....

gtar_pro

well ive been playing about 5-6 years on and off due to gtar playing more, but recently join a deathmetal/metalcore/thrash band as a drummer.
just got me new kickers, pearl eliminators. go great no doubt, precise once use to em.
the thing is, due to not playing alot before my left leg has just shit itself compared to the right, eg can hit 200 bpm on 16th's but only for about 20-30 seconds.
just wondering if anyone out there knows any exercises to help build up the legs and overall build more speed.
anything would be beyond helpful.
Cheers

Tried using your ankles more rather than your legs? At high velocity it should be more convenient, if you get the technique down.

cheers man, but just a question
any tips at all how to use my ankles properly, tis because ive never had lessons so a bit wary on technique?

There are loads of double bass threads in the technique section, check them out man, a search through the forums should give you lots of double bass threads to read through.

As for the ankle motion, I assume your playing heel up? Well the heel up ankle motion is the same as the heel down motion, except your heel is off the floor. So try this, do the heel down motion, which is essentially just raising and lowering the front of your foot, then raise your heel into the heel up position and do the same raising/lowering of the front of your foot. If your doing it right you should feel the motion in your ankles and the rest of your leg shouldn't move too much. You'll need to do this very slowly at first and build up.

Just when your practicing use your left leg more heavily. And, how many times do you see a song with a 200bmp 16th note blast beat for the 2 minute songs they are?

Don't worry about it, you'll get it. Just keep practicing.

Back