Double (for left & right foot not hat/bass) hi-hat pedal

KJIB

I sometimes get a bit of a heel problem (plantar fasciitis) so want to be able to swap what I do on each foot. Previously I used a remote hi-hat and just moved my small electronic bass pedal to the other side. Now I have a full size bass so moving the bass is not an attractive option. I know that I *could* use a double bass pedal combined with a remote hi-hat but I can't then switch feet on the fly, (i.e. I have to move the remote pedal before I can switch). So, instead, I am looking for a double hi-hat pedal, (not double bass pedal) to allow playing the hi-hat with either foot at will without rearranging any of the kit. Ideally I would have both a combined double hi-hat and a double bass pedal to facilitate this. In fact, if we're going crazy, let's add a lock/unlock foot thing too, (that wouldn't be vital!).

This isn't so that I can play super fast hi-hat via foot, (although perhaps you could try that as another use for such a setup). It, for me, is just so that I can swap which foot is for bass & which for hi-hat since I don't do as much hi-hat as bass pedal and swapping over would give my injured right heel a rest when I feel the problem coming on. I've tried switching between heel up & down on bass but it's not helped.

I do not mean something like the DW hi-hat stand that includes a single hi-hat pedal and a double bass in one, (unless you can add a pedal next to the bass that also drives the hi-hat).

Does such a thing exist?

bearblastbeats

get a set of remote hi hats and have a two hi hat set up. can position it near or other foot. it'll take some adjust and getting used to...

look up pictures of something like Thomas Lang would do

harryconway

Platinum Member
Does such a thing exist?
The short answer is no (at least I don't think so).

Closest thing I can think of would be the Mapex Janus pedal.

That uses a sliding footboard that operates the hi-hat/slave pedal. I've never seen a left handed one, so this would only solve the left foot side of your situation. Trying to fabricate a right side unit ???? Might be darn hard (maybe impossible) to do.

Anything I can think of doing will require a double pedal (maybe a center pedal) and two hi hats/remote hats.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
You would need two cable hats married at the collar. The second cable would need a slip ring that allows the rod to be operated independently from either side.

It's totally doable:
20220827_080019.jpg

The main collar moves independent of the secondary collar. The secondary collar pulls the main collar. It's really quite simple.

KJIB

That does look like something that I can investigate. I will see what I can cobble together with assorted bits & pieces. (y)

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I like the idea CDR came up with. The problem is see with the design is the cables for the contraption and what the harness/manifold below the pull rod contraption would like like to limit cable binding. I'm not a designer/engineer and this may be an easy fix with things that already exist.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I like the idea CDR came up with. The problem is see with the design is the cables for the contraption and what the harness/manifold below the pull rod contraption would like like to limit cable binding. I'm not a designer/engineer and this may be an easy fix with things that already exist.
The main cable goes inside the clamp tube, the secondary outside. It's basically a gyro for a BMX bike turned upside down and used for drums.

20220827_145442.jpg