Double drummers.

One of my very favorite newish bands is from Estonia and called Winny Puhh. They started out with one drummer, got another when the first one quit, then the old guy wanted back in but they kept the new guy, too. Turns out to be brilliantly zany, the way they work together. One guy is more of a solid type, the other is more of an effects drummer and has samplers and a bigger kit. And they do stunts:

Double drums? pssh.... How about 40! Steel drums that is.

I have yet to see a project that was truly enhanced musically by having more than one drum set player...and i even feel blechy about a set player and an aux percussionist.

They feel cacophonous and unneeded.

we all have our opinions on second drumers and to a point i agree since most of the time they just seem to play the same stuff together.. but a percussionist is a wonderful thing is they are good.. The percussionist for manassass added so much to the music that it wouldn't have been near as good without him.. or Ruth Underwood with Zappa... she was a major force in his music.

Now playing with a percussionist is a totally different story and something I really enjoy! I was in a band where our bass player was primarily a drummer and percussionist. I would bring my drums and he would bring his bass gear and a percussion rig. He would set bass loops and jam percussion, some times we even swapped and I would play percussion and he would jump on my kit. That was a lot of fun and very easy to keep 'tasteful'.
In HS jazz band we had two drummers- my best friend and me. We were both in the drum line (he played tri toms and I played snare), and pretty equal in skill and ability.
We basically split the time on the kit and percussion which included marimba and some other cool stuff. There was a healthy competition and amazingly we only once had a run in about who got to play what…and that was at a house party with lots of 🍺🍺🥃🍸🍺 involved. I probably played the kit a little more than he did because I was drum captain in junior and senior years…and we used my kit. But we never setup two kits.

Great references folks...thank you for the material.

I think I disregard much when the drum work is feeling like a substrate of the song instead of an integral part of the song...and i fear my enjoyments/displeasures from the past have become prejudices....time to challenge myself!

Great references folks...thank you for the material.

I think I disregard much when the drum work is feeling like a substrate of the song instead of an integral part of the song...and i fear my enjoyments/displeasures from the past have become prejudices....time to challenge myself!
So you're going to partner up with another drummer and become a package deal?

:D

So you're going to partner up with another drummer and become a package deal?

:D
absolutely not! ;) ...well give me a while to check my 'rudder of taste'.

Back