Double Bass Technique

buzzbuzz

For some reason I just can't do a fast double-bass using my current technique. I just recently started trying to learn heel toe and I think for me, that might be the way to go.

I'm trying to play Painkiller by Judas Priest. I can't go fast enough to play the faster notes by using single strokes. That's where I think I might benefit from heel toe. If I just sit on my drum throne or just a chair on a flat surface and "roll" my foot forward on the ground w/ no pedal, I can do the motion OK. Heel hits then ball of my foot, I can play the 'notes' on the floor a little faster than the song. I just need to transfer that method to my pedals. I currently kinda sloppy and too slow but, does this sound like a reasonable plan? I have watched tons of YT videos and this method seems easiest for me.

I have Pearl Eliminators - would other pedals help if I choose this technique?

For some reason I just can't do a fast double-bass using my current technique. I just recently started trying to learn heel toe and I think for me, that might be the way to go.

I'm trying to play Painkiller by Judas Priest. I can't go fast enough to play the faster notes by using single strokes. That's where I think I might benefit from heel toe. If I just sit on my drum throne or just a chair on a flat surface and "roll" my foot forward on the ground w/ no pedal, I can do the motion OK. Heel hits then ball of my foot, I can play the 'notes' on the floor a little faster than the song. I just need to transfer that method to my pedals. I currently kinda sloppy and too slow but, does this sound like a reasonable plan? I have watched tons of YT videos and this method seems easiest for me.

I have Pearl Eliminators - would other pedals help if I choose this technique?

Typically I think people use longboards like the Axis A's or Trick Bigfoots, but you don't have to.
I would keep trying at the single strokes IMO. Look up the "floating foot" technique. I use this and I am able to play faster than Painkiller.

Typically I think people use longboards like the Axis A's or Trick Bigfoots, but you don't have to.
I would keep trying at the single strokes IMO. Look up the "floating foot" technique. I use this and I am able to play faster than Painkiller.

OK I checked it out and it looks like the motion is the same as I am trying - just the position of the heel never makes a stroke. I will give it a try.

Last edited:
Im not sure how Scott Travis played that song but I too can play single strokes faster than Pain Killer so that works for me.

On the other hand Thomas Lang playes doubles and can pay 5 stroke rolls and more on his pedals. But I think every drumner is gifted in their own way and being able to play doubles is something I decided against for my own style. Singles, six tuplets, and a few other basic strokes and riffs are what is iseful for me and my vocabulary.

You need to decide which riffs and skills you want to use are, what is realistic for you, then shed it daily. Scott Travis didnt get his speed in a day, a month, or even a year I bet.

Daily work and dedication will get that for you. Even using singles flat footed you can get it if you put the work in.

The double bass in "Painkiller" isn't all that fast. You don't need heel-toe or longboards to be able to do it - you need practice, plain and simple.

Get a metronome and work on your feet!

Start slow and build up finding the placements that works for you.

Just do every roll that you do with your hands with your feet. Like RLRL etc.

Or practice along to Motorhead like the song overkill.

For youtube watch Thomas Lang Drumeo. That has killer double tips in it.

The double bass in "Painkiller" isn't all that fast. You don't need heel-toe or longboards to be able to do it - you need practice, plain and simple.

This is true. The song is at about 108 BPM, and those 32nd notes in the intro are only in bursts of 4.

The double bass during the chorus is relatively slow 16th note triplets. I can't play any slower than that without downshifting and using less ankle/more leg motion.

This may be a dumb question but...
Without using my kick, while I am at work just sitting at my desk, is it basically just like running in place really fast?
So, if I am in my chair and I practice picking up my feet and putting them back down on the floor on the balls of my feet really fast, is that something that would help and kinda what I am shooting for?

Thank you all for your responses.

There are no dumb questions.

This has been asked by many and even tho I've played for years I don't have a clear answer for you other than to say nothing I've done off the drumset has really contributed to good bass drum technique. So the only thing I do off the set is sixtuplets flat heeled on the floor, or paradiddles. But it only helps with coordination not really bass drum technique. Running in place on the floor with your feet won't really help much I don't think.

But others will be along to disagree I'm sure haha!

Look I know you're in a hurry. And it seems you have the willingness to put in the effort. I put in at least an hour a day on just bass drums alone. I think you're gong to have to at least do the same, and be patient. If you're in a band that wants you to play this song you just have to be honest with them and pass on it for now. I had to do that once in a band I was in who's previous drummer could play a double bass rhythm I couldn't. I was as good or better drummer than him but I couldn't play that beat. If this isnt the case for you even better. Put in the work and you'll get it!

How are your pedals set up? Elims are really good pedals and many drummers can fly on them.

If you play with you beaters close to the head, and use loose spring tension, you will have difficulty play faster.

The Dave Lombardo approach works for me. I sit lower on the throne, and make sure to keep my back in a neutral position. Neutral spine position is important.

My pedals are set up as follows:

1. Beaters fully extended.
2. Lots of beater throw (my beaters are almost parallel to the floor).
3. High spring tension (tight enough to where the balls of my feet never separate from the pedal board, if not full tension.)

I find with the pedal set like this, it pretty much plays itself, I just control the momentum.

As for the technique, I bounce my heel, kinda like when you are waiting on something and you bounce you knee up and down. This allows me to use the big push muscles in my leg which means I don't get the "burning shins".

Here is everything in a quick video of a song part I had in my head. Notice the power and beater travel. The heads are remo silent strokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCYUAoAXd0

As with anything, practice is required.

I've just stumbled upon this post, it's a coincidence as I am in the process of just finishing up learning this song! I can play it all pretty well and comfortably, including the bursts of 4 kicks on the intro and the main groove all up to speed.

The chorus is the tricky bit for me, I believe it turns into 16th note triplets when moving to the ride? I am currently slowing down the tempo right down to practice this, however If anyone can give me other tips or techniques to use for this part, that would be helpful.

Lux - Drum Cover | Judas Priest - Painkiller

I wonder how many would-be Painkillers worked so hard on the song only to run into this proverbial brick wall of a solo at the end . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
The chorus is the tricky bit for me, I believe it turns into 16th note triplets when moving to the ride? I am currently slowing down the tempo right down to practice this, however If anyone can give me other tips or techniques to use for this part, that would be helpful.

You are correct 16th note triplets. If you aren't sure of the pattern, it's RlrLrlRlrLrl. The capitol Rs and Ls represent when you hit the ride in relation to the feet. This pattern is easy to learn slow. Better get it down now, it's all over the place in metal. One of my favorites too, as it's a good way to increase speed and intensity within a specified time frame.

This is a fantastic song to play for just getting comfortable with double bass, specifically because of the constant alternating between 8ths and 16th triplets. George Kollias' double bass lessons emphasized doing this.

I wonder how many would-be Painkillers worked so hard on the song only to run into this proverbial brick wall of a solo at the end . . . . . . . .

the solo at the end isn't that difficult once you slow it all right down, it just looks way more complicated once its played fast, it's easy to remember in sections.

I kinda section it out in my mind like this: (not precise notes but the order and brief description helps to remember)
-snare roll & crash
-snare and tom and double kicks
-fill around the toms x 1
-2 snare hits
-big crashes
-slow to fast fills around the toms
-fill around the toms x 2
-snare hits
-crash end

This is a fantastic song to play for just getting comfortable with double bass, specifically because of the constant alternating between 8ths and 16th triplets. George Kollias' double bass lessons emphasized doing this.
awesome i'll check his lessons out

Back