Double Bass Pedal Choice

Kraus

Hey there,
This is my first post here and I'm looking into getting my first Double Bass pedal for my drum set. I'm only a beginner so I don't want to bust my wallet on something out of my league.
What i'm thinking about:
1.Sound Percussion Double Bass Drum Pedal with drop clutch $99.99
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....e-Bass-Drum-Pedal-with-Drop-Clutch?sku=500569
2.Pearl P902 Double Pedal $174.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-P902-Double-Pedal-620288-i1466349.gc
3.DW 4002P Double Bass Drum Pedal $189.99
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DW-4002P-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal-102926573-i1140933.gc

I would love to go with some Yamaha's but I don't think I'm at that skill level and its a HUGE wallet buster. The DW 4002P is most likely the highest priced pedal I go for.
Post your opinions on what would be best for a beginner, suggestions are good too.

Thanks,
Kraus

For your first double-pedals, I'd go with something with 2 chains, not 1. Check out PDP, they have some good beginner pedals. Also, if your willing to spend 350+, go with iron cobra power glides. ;)

Personally I'd be hitting e-bay and craigslist. Some fantastic deals to be had if you look and you can get a pedal of a better quality for less money ;-) LIke this DW 5000 it's $20 more than you were talking about but a MUCH better pedal http://cgi.ebay.com/DW-5000-Double-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48386f9035

You say you don't think you are at that skill level. When it comes to bass pedals I don't look at it that way. The bass pedal is THE most used piece on your kit and the quality of the pedal can have an impact on your ability to play. A cheap pedal can make you work harder and actually slow your progession in ability because the parts aren't as smooth and the tolerances are not as tight making for a sloppy feel in the pedal. In my book I'd save till I could afford a GOOD quality pedal, in the end you'll end up saving money ;-)

honestly id save for the yammie, ive been using the same one for almost ten years , its never let me down, great quality product.

I would definatley check out some pdp pedals. I myself have a Gibralter Avenger II double Chain drive and it works great, and it only cost me about $180. Well, $220 after shipping, tax and (I wish I hadn't) warranty. But out of the ones you listed I would go with the pearl one. But only because I heard bad things about the other two. But definatley check ebay, cragslist, your local newspaper and the used section of GuitarCenter.com for a higher quality pedal thats been used.

My first double pedal was a Mapex P580A which was purchased nearly 10 years ago, and only now am I finding I have to replace a few minor parts on it. Top notch (for the price which when i purchased it was around $180) pedal, it has my vote. check it out.

and if you can, try out as many of these pedals as you can in store, then go and look for them on ebay, craigslist etc. best way to save money.

-Jonathan

You need to get your feet on as many pedals as possible, and find out which feels best to you. There was a time when there was no beginner/intermediate/advanced pedal. You simply had one ... or you didn't.​
Camco made one of the first (very successful) chain drive pedals. That opened the door for double-pedal design, and the competition began.​
Of your 3 choices, I'd go with the DW. It's basically a less evolved version of the 5000. And about a million or so drummers (at least) did just fine playing older DW5000 pedals (Tommy Lee, Terry Bozio, etc.). DW basically "built" their empire on that pedal.​

Yep, the 4002 is a great pedal. I found a used one for $90 just to try out a double pedal and liked it just as well as my more expensive Pearl. I did end up with the 9002 but I would say the 4002 is 95% of the higher models.

id go with the 4002 ive had mine for awhile,i broke it but dw sent me replacment parts,that wer off of the 5000,i had it break a second time but then they just told me tell us what you need,and we will send it to you,i almost upgraded my pedal to a 5000 but i ended up with a new pedal from them,with upgraded parts on it(the link and springs) they also tensiond the springs for me

id go with the 4002 ive had mine for awhile,i broke it but dw sent me replacment parts,that wer off of the 5000,i had it break a second time but then they just told me tell us what you need,and we will send it to you,i almost upgraded my pedal to a 5000 but i ended up with a new pedal from them,with upgraded parts on it(the link and springs) they also tensiond the springs for me

That speaks for their service but not the pedal. If it's gone down that many times I wouldn't want to spend money on one and have to continue to wait for parts. I'd rather just get a different pedal to start that won't break.

definitely go with the Pearl one. It's very fast and light, yet the beaters have perfect weight for good power without being too heavy. This pedal is as good as the higher end ones, just with less features. I personally think the single chain pedals are faster and smoother.I'm sure the DW one plays good, but it may fall apart. They've had problems with that even with the 5000's. The PDP's are the same way. They play good, but they have frequent problems with parts breaking.

And, I agree you should start out on a good pedal. They're cheap enough these days, so you really don't need to get crappy pedals just because you're just starting out. The double pedal I started on was terrible. It was one of the early model double pedals, and the left side was so heavy you could hardly push the thing down. This dissuaded me from playing double bass for years, because it was just a chore with that pedal. When I finally got a good one, I found I could play amazing things I could never dream of with that clunker. Oh, and make sure to get a good throne too, because that really helps, too.

I got extremely lucky on Black Friday & found a "like new" Yamaha direct drive pedal on Guitar Center's website for $175. This thing is truly like new & still had all the labels/stickers, etc on it. After the 15% coupon they mailed me, the deal was even better. It's the DFP-9415 & I've been really happy with it. Have some patience & there are deals to be found for sure....

Back