Double Bass or Triplets?

What do you preffer? When it comes to BIG SOUNDS you get from drummers like John Bonham and Dave Grohl doing triplets on the toms and snare with the kick.

Or the BIG SOUNDS of the double kick? To me the sound you get from the kick and the toms is more interesting. I guess one example would be the end of "My Name is Mud" by Primus. Alot of that is deceiving to me, i used to think alot of that stuff was double kick. Kinda like the beginning of "Over The Mountain" by Ozzy.

AndyMC

Triplets by far, very very few drummers on double bass do anything that interests me, and while I love both I'd rather listen to Jojo than Danny Carey. To me there is something about having your feet playing different sounds that makes me think in 4 different limbs as opposed to top R L and bottom R L. Sometimes I do like that extra burst of low end, but there are enough tricks between floor toms and bass to cover that.

Triplets by far, very very few drummers on double bass do anything that interests me, and while I love both I'd rather listen to Jojo than Danny Carey. To me there is something about having your feet playing different sounds that makes me think in 4 different limbs as opposed to top R L and bottom R L. Sometimes I do like that extra burst of low end, but there are enough tricks between floor toms and bass to cover that.
No Doubt! I have an instuctional DVD from Jojo Mayer about the technique in your hands that talks about Moeller Technique and more. He is pretty much a miracle on drums. One drummer that stands out to me that seems to utilize both double kick and triplets well is Vinnie Paul. I really like his style.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Depends on the style of music really. Some things work better in a certain context than others.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I wouldn't use a double kick to play the RLK triplet, and a double kick pattern doesn't necessarily have to entail a linear pattern including the hands.

Depending on what's being played, both approaches are perfectly acceptable to me.