Don't see one of these everyday

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Just saw one of those go for $1k at the Chicago Show, probably older than this one though. A little high for my cymbal budget. :( I'd go $350-400 on it.

Bermuda

wsabol

Gold Member
Sweet pie of Versailles!! That's incredible. I want it sooooooooooooo bad. But its just a tad too much haha

wildbill

Platinum Member
That's a monster. You'd have to have a custom case made for it, to take it anywhere.

I wonder how much it weighs?

jodgey4

Silver Member
They have a 28" or so over at Tommy's Drum Shop.
30" is just a little ridiculous, can you even reach the bell when you play it?
I think 26" is the biggest size I'd play, anything bigger sounds too much like a one-trick pony - BWOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
OK, I get that it is super rare, but $1000?

I mean, it's not like it's something most drummers would even use.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Thats an edge wobbler for sure.It's a hit it today,and still hear it tomorrow cymbal.Ta Ta Ta Ta.Sucker will shake a house off its foundation,and make grown men cry.Hide the women ,children and the sheep.There's a new sheriff in town.......ok I'll stop now.:)

Steve B

wildbill

Platinum Member
Good question. 12,000 grams?

Too high. I picked up a used 24" A Zildjian yesterday. The Zildjian site says it's medium weight, but it's heavy as a dog. It was being sold as an 'A', but I'm not sure about that. It has an aura of greater age about it.
Weighed it with a bathroom scale to the nearest half pound, and it goes 8.5 pounds (3855.535 g).
Really rough approximation, but I doubt that extra 3 inches all the way around would bring it up that high.

Spent a bit of time cleaning it up, and more time checking out its sounds. 2 days with it and its already my favorite ride. It looks a bit huge over the 18" kick I'm using it with - ha ha. But it sounds superb.

Edit: on second thought, maybe it is that heavy. Mine's a medium and is .075" thick, like my other rides. My crash/ride is .060", straight crashes are about .040" average. I'm thinking the medium-heavy in the OP is probably about .090" (maybe more) thick. That would add up to a lot of extra weight.

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
I'll 3rd that - it's an A.

K stamps look a little different with the star and crescent moon up top. Google Zildjian stamps and you'll be able to put a rough date to your cymbal as some of the font stylings and numbers of dots have changed over the decades.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Too high. I picked up a used 24" A Zildjian yesterday. The Zildjian site says it's medium weight, but it's heavy as a dog. It was being sold as an 'A', but I'm not sure about that. It has an aura of greater age about it.
Weighed it with a bathroom scale to the nearest half pound, and it goes 8.5 pounds (3855.535 g).
Really rough approximation, but I doubt that extra 3 inches all the way around would bring it up that high ...

Edit: on second thought, maybe it is that heavy. Mine's a medium and is .075" thick, like my other rides. My crash/ride is .060", straight crashes are about .040" average. I'm thinking the medium-heavy in the OP is probably about .090" (maybe more) thick. That would add up to a lot of extra weight.
I was guessing 12 kilo's as kind of a way high upper limit guess with notes of exaggeration for effect. But I would be interested to know - a medium heavy 30" is not gonna be light. Chop your toes off if you're not careful!

But out of sheer curiosity, I emailed the guy to see if he knew how much it weighs. We'll see what he says. I sent him the link to this thread so maybe he can put the matter to rest his own bad self.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Hey Mike - you seem to be pretty up on this stuff. Do you think this information is accurate:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7712019_tell-age-zildjian-vintage-cymbals.html

"...As a general rule, a logo with a height of 1 1/8 inches indicates the cymbal was made in the 1930s or the late 1940s to early 1950s. If the logo is 1 1/4 inches tall, the cymbal was likely made in the 1970s, late 1950s or early 1940s. A 1 1/2-inch logo was common on Zildjian cymbals made during the 1960s...."

Also this: http://www.ehow.com/how_7712019_tell-age-zildjian-vintage-cymbals.html

"...Look at the dots and dashes under the Arabic text in the cymbal logo. Under some letters of this text, you will see dots and dashes, which can be used to estimate the cymbal's age. If there are three dashes beneath the text, this indicates a 1930s cymbal. Three dots were typically used on cymbals made in the 1940s, early 1950s and throughout the 1960s. In the late 1950s and during the 1970s, there were no dots or dashes present beneath the text..."

EDIT: I don't really care about the age of it, because it sounds fantastic to me. But from everything I've been able to gather, it appears to have been made in the 1960's - I'm good with that - ha ha.
My super accurate (ha) standard tape measure reading of the stamp comes in at exactly one hair over one and a half inches, and it looks like the other 60's stamps I've run across.
The stamps on the Zildjians I bought in 1980 are so light I have to really search to find them, and even then, most of it seems to have worn off.

Oh - and also, sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
"...As a general rule, a logo with a height of 1 1/8 inches indicates the cymbal was made in the 1930s or the late 1940s to early 1950s. If the logo is 1 1/4 inches tall, the cymbal was likely made in the 1970s, late 1950s or early 1940s. A 1 1/2-inch logo was common on Zildjian cymbals made during the 1960s...."

Also this:
"...Look at the dots and dashes under the Arabic text in the cymbal logo. Under some letters of this text, you will see dots and dashes, which can be used to estimate the cymbal's age. If there are three dashes beneath the text, this indicates a 1930s cymbal. Three dots were typically used on cymbals made in the 1940s, early 1950s and throughout the 1960s. In the late 1950s and during the 1970s, there were no dots or dashes present beneath the text..."

EDIT: I don't really care about the age of it, because it sounds fantastic to me. But from everything I've been able to gather, it appears to have been made in the 1960's - I'm good with that - ha ha.
Yeah, that looks like what I've read before - linked to from cymbalholics - so I'm pretty sure it's legit. That's a very good-looking cymbal you got there - seems like a score to me!

The guy who posted the original ad replied and said it was around 7000 grams. Not quite 12k but quite a beast nonetheless!