Don't overplay

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Also, I am 99.999% sure the "drummer" is programmed. If not, it's been triggered and quantized to the point that if someone actualy paid for studio time, they were ripped off and SHOULD have just programmed it in the first place
Glad you caught that, too! Apart from the sound and mix and feel being too fastidious, it sounds like someone other than a drummer did the programming. It's just too gratuitous, sort of a "this is what a metal drummer would play" vibe.

Sort of like me playing spang-a-lang on the ride and proclaiming "Look, I'm playing jazz!"

Actually, that's pretty much how that works for me. :oops:

Bermuda

Mastiff

I find this genre basically unlistenable (mostly due to vocals), but this is the drummer:

Can't say whether the Christmas album in particular was "fixed up" in the studio.

MrPockets

Gold Member
Glad you caught that, too! Apart from the sound and mix and feel being too fastidious, it sounds like someone other than a drummer did the programming. It's just too gratuitous, sort of a "this is what a metal drummer would play" vibe.

Bermuda
You never heard of August Burns Red?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang I find watching Matt "overplay" , if that's the case, very satisfying. He does throw everything including the kitchen sink into a song but he does it so well and fluidly I just love watching him do so. He's a "blast" to watch-hee,hee,he,he,h,h...

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member

Sort of like me playing spang-a-lang on the ride and proclaiming "Look, I'm playing jazz!"

Actually, that's pretty much how that works for me. :oops:

Bermuda

It's exactly the type of mix my metal band gives me when they write a song. lol. I'll often change beats and fills, sometimes I'll play em as is. But it sounds human after I play it lol. When they write that way the odd time I'll think "hey, that's a cool fill that I wouldn't have put there" because it's coming from a guitarists brain, or someone who was writing the song as a whole. My one guitarist can shred a kit pretty good so he comes up with some pretty neat ideas.

The sad thing is, is that so many albums I buy or listen too these days actualy sound JUST like this recording. Quantized, slate samples, dynamics set to 100% for everything. Everyone pushed and pushed to get it sounding better and better and went past the threshold of where it sounds like garbage. I think the pendulum is starting to swing back a bit though.

Otto

Platinum Member
We've had a few close calls, Grapefruit Diet (Zoot Suit Riot) comes to mind!
LOL!!!!

You participate in making some of the most fun musical art out there Bermuda!

Maybe 'Take π'?

Problem is how to play 3.1415926-/4 time : ) ...and pastry theft is no joking matter!

Last edited: