Don't overplay

johnwesley

Silver Member
The drummer should support the music... ;)

That's exactly what the drummer is doing. Notice he lays off in the quieter passages. What he's doing in my opinion is becoming part of the music. Supporters are those behind political campaigns. LOL They are also the things my Dad used to wear to keep his socks up except he called them garters.

Mastiff

Don't get me wrong. It's tongue in cheek on my part and his playing is as expected given the band and most of the context. Still, the other instruments are relatively subdued throughout, and the guy comes in with this barrage of drums that it is hard to imagine how they could be busier. It's like a drum show with the other instruments supporting.

I'm no connoisseur of metal, but the drumming is quite impressive to me from a technical perspective.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I say don't over-sing. The singer should support the music. No "yeah yeah yeah" , no "wooooo hoooo".
If there are no lyrics for a part, put a sock in it.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I say don't over-sing. The singer should support the music. No "yeah yeah yeah" , no "wooooo hoooo".
If there are no lyrics for a part, put a sock in it.
Better yet don't over lyric it. I was at the library the other day, and they have collections of song books, "songs of 2018" etc. Most of the songs read like a bad melodrama. Way to much BS IMO. OH no here comes the vamp.

steadypocket

Gold Member
As a general rule, I’m not a fan of overplaying and believe that drums should support the music. In this case though, the intent was to give a metal/TSO-like spin on a holiday classic. Thought it to be very appropriate given what they were likely aiming for. A pretty relevant discussion on a related topic:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Room for everyone and everything. They have every right to make it. Can't please everyone. It's not good to tear musical brothers and sisters down.

Overplaying is a valid choice, because it's still a choice. Let's celebrate the fact that we can invent any music we want instead of trying to place limits on others. It's bad enough when the governing factions try to clamp down on our freedoms. But it's 10x worse when everyday people want to jump on that bandwagon.

I don't like everything musically speaking, but I'm finding out that it's a bad idea to bring pointed negative thoughts into public forums. It's just not a good way to go.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Let's celebrate the fact that we can invent any music we want instead of trying to place limits on others.
Thank you for this statement Uncle Larry. I would like to add that those of us who play like this are still real drummers playing real music. We aren't "doing it wrong". It's what the music calls for. And since the music contains drums, someone has to play them. It really is that simple.

I like this version of the song. It's done well and not campy or boring. It doesn't ruin the song, and the drums are definitely not overplayed. Good stuff!

Mastiff

Just to reiterate, since stuff is easily lost when posting text: The post was meant as tongue in cheek and not to be critical of this band or this music.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Just to reiterate, since stuff is easily lost when posting text: The post was meant as tongue in cheek and not to be critical of this band or this music.
but it does bring up a good point...that of the drums as always being "yelled at" for stepping out of a supporting role only. The only other instrument that is more maligned in this aspect is bass (which I also play). Truly, ALL instruments are support at times, and ALL instruments are also solo instruments. The key is the balance of those uses. As in any song, contrast is the key element to a good song.

I personally think that the concept of one instrument only having one role at all is the result of people who really don't know about music as a whole...and it is usually these types who are the loudest proponents of these outdated ideas <--- this is NOT focused at you Mastiff, but just to people in general. I play in MANY band situations where the general thought is that the rhythm instruments in general should not be seen and barely heard, and I think this is a sad state of affairs by the leaders who are obviously not aware of how the "important parts" would be irrelevant without rhythmic and harmonic foundation...

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
The programming is appropriate for that. What exactly are the rules for metal in 3/4 phrased half-time??
Should have been a groovy shuffle over blazing double kick. Actually my death metal band does quite a bit of 3/4 half time and I've been tossing in shuffles and all kinds of weird stuff lately. I love the opportunity to groove and not play at top speed.

HOWEVER, the drums fit the music just fine. Assuming we are discussing the metal genera and not the "Christmas genera"

Also, I am 99.999% sure the "drummer" is programmed. If not, it's been triggered and quantized to the point that if someone actualy paid for studio time, they were ripped off and SHOULD have just programmed it in the first place.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Mariah Carey has a lot to answer for...
I can take her for about as long as it takes for me to switch songs! Great voice, but her WAAAAaaaAAAwaaaAAAEEEEEyaaaaWAAA Makes my head explode. As for the song...topic of this thread, probably one of the easiest blast beats I’ve been able to listen to. I’d say well done.

Crap! Now I can’t get Mariah out of my head!!! ....WAAAAaaaAAAwaaaAAAEEEEEyaaaaWAAA...🤬🤯

Room for everyone and everything. They have every right to make it. Can't please everyone. It's not good to tear musical brothers and sisters down.
1576503241748.jpeg