Don't @me on this but I think Pearl ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear that us Pearlites may be the unwitting victims of a Tama, Tama, Tama, Tama, Tama comedian…:unsure:😁
Boy George 80S GIF

I'm gonna have to take your word for that. I'll bet it's just yummy too! :ROFLMAO:
I dont eat out. I trust no one with my food except my wife.

A Wagyu steak, since you obviously have no idea what one is, is a $100+ a pound. It's about the best damn steak you can buy, and they sure as hell dont sell it at Golden Corral.

Try again.

NOW I want Golden Corral. :D

A Wagyu steak, since you obviously have no idea what one is, is a $100+ a pound. It's about the best damn steak you can buy, and they sure as hell dont sell it at Golden Corral.

Try again.
Mater.gif

Completely off-topic but @Bo Eder I was amazed to find out that in 2022, Ford really only does make one model of car.

View attachment 121237

Back on-topic, I have been giving the Pearl STS line the hairy eyeball lately. Their Nicotine White wrap is right up my alley.
You will be inspired by the STS series.

- I do recall Sting singing the lines as follows:
Don’t stand so, Don’t stand so close, tom arms.

D2F455D5-5CE6-4C25-B94C-7FC50D6C5960.jpeg

@Al Strange if he’s a comedian I’ll let him borrow my Tama hardware slogan as a DWF signature.

Tama hardware - ‘holdin’ things up one stand at a time.’

Try again.
I know my way around steaks. I misread your post. I thought you said you CAN get a wagyu steak at Golden Corral. The vitriol in this forum can really be off the charts. Why do so many people on here take everything so personal? What's your wife's best dish?

.... just puts out as many kits as they can by copying other brands' ranges. Kind of a "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" approach. I've never seen a brand with so many different ranges (18 currently)!! Also, it's hard to keep track of them as they discontinue and add ranges so often it makes one's head spin.

I think Pearl makes what sells, and stops making what doesn't, just like everyone else. I agree they copy some of what other brands do but every other brand follows what works whether or not it was their idea originally or not.

Even if Pearl is making too many drum lines for you to follow, they still must be doing something right, for you to keep trying to make sense of it all. Hopefully some day you'll figure it all out!

I know my way around steaks. I misread your post. I thought you said you CAN get a wagyu steak at Golden Corral. The vitriol in this forum can really be off the charts. Why do so many people on here take everything so personal? What's your wife's best dish?
That's a tough one. Everything she cooks is fantastic. She cooked me a fried pork chop that was stuffed with apple slices, diced onion and pepper, and shredded cheese. She received a proposal/ring about 5 minutes later.

She makes meatloaf in a crock pot. It cooks all day and is so moist and tender when done. Not dry and crumbly like most. We actually ask for it.

Same with honey baked spiral ham. Cooks in the crock pot all day

Double breaded fried chicken made with Frank's hot sauce is amazing.

She doesnt cook anything complicated like beef wellington. She knows how to use spices and cooking devices like a magician. I call it kitchen witchery.

My cooking sucks. It wont kill you, but you dont wanna eat it either.

I think Pearl makes what sells, and stops making what doesn't, just like everyone else. I agree they copy some of what other brands do but every other brand follows what works whether or not it was their idea originally or not.

Even if Pearl is making too many drum lines for you to follow, they still must be doing something right, for you to keep trying to make sense of it all. Hopefully some day you'll figure it all out!
Nah, I just pop in there once in a while like I do with other brands. It's not a compulsion by any means.

There's no problem with 'choice' but there is problem with the illusion of choice. Go into any supermarket and look at the sliced bread. You're likely to see at least four or five different brands all offering the same product for roughly the same price. White, brown, wholemeal, seeded and maybe 50/50, four or five of each. They're all the same. There is no actual value in choosing one over the other and there's no difference in the experience of eating it. You may as well just have 'white', 'brown', 'wholemeal', 'seeded' and '50/50' from the same manufacturer because they are all substantively the same. It's a waste of time, energy, resources and space - and this is where the German discount supermarkets get it right. Offer one 'named' brand, one store brand and you can cut down immediately on all of the difficulties of the supply chain and storage and pass the saving onto the consumer.

It is a bit different with drums because you're getting a slightly different product between manufacturers but I would argue that unless you're buying high-end and spending a lot of money there really isn't enough difference between most budget and intermediate kits to start navel-gazing over it. Just buy one. If you like, buy one second hand for even better value. The drum kit in its mainstream, everyday form was perfected over twenty years ago in this segment of the market.

Pearl offering so many variations is bound to have a knock-on effect on their efficiency as a company and given the current supply chain issues it only makes things harder and this is true of most manufacturers. I honestly think that they all need to rationalise their product lines and offer - essentially - three sets. A beginner set in two different size configurations, an intermediate set in three size configurations ('bop', 'standard' and 'rock' 18-20-22 bass drums) and higher-end sets in a range of configurations.

You might think that you're being disempowered as a consumer but we're also sat here in a drum forum discussing minute details all of the time and although we're a relatively large community, we only represent a tiny number of the people that are actually buying drums each year. I very much doubt to most people it would make much difference if the lines were somewhat rationalised.

So respectfully @larryace I disagree on this and I think it's better for the longevity of the companies that we buy drums for because the current status quo cannot carry on forever. It's too big and inefficient. Look at what Apple did in the late-90s when Steve Jobs came back - rationalising all of their computer products into four basic products (consumer desktop, consumer laptop, professional desktop, professional laptop) with a small range of configurations in each segment. It was largely responsible for saving the company.

A World with too much choice is a very wasteful one.

Last edited:
I don’t know if Pearl was the first to do it… but their high end lines philosophy of certain sized Tom’s should get certain kinds of wood is what I’m naturally finding out on my own.

I only wish pearl wraps & finishes were consistent across the Masters line & the Session Studio Select line and the badges were fairly close in design because I want a 10” & 12” tom made of maple with Birch/African Mahogany 14 & 16 floor Tom’s and a Maple Kick. And I could build that kit with pearls Mid Tier lines if they shared some finishes. Unfortunately only other option is pay the big bucks for a custom kit

I can't buy into "Pearl's copying everyone else" .....

Most manufacturers simply make what people want. If they don't, then they stop being manufacturers.;) The first "all maple" drum shell came out in 1978. The Rogers XP-8. Oh yeah ...... and Pearl came out with an all maple shell ...... in 1978. So ...... does every other manufacturer get chastized for coming out with an "all maple shell":ROFLMAO:

I don’t know if Pearl was the first to do it… but their high end lines philosophy of certain sized Tom’s should get certain kinds of wood is what I’m naturally finding out on my own.

I only wish pearl wraps & finishes were consistent across the Masters line & the Session Studio Select line and the badges were fairly close in design because I want a 10” & 12” tom made of maple with Birch/African Mahogany 14 & 16 floor Tom’s and a Maple Kick. And I could build that kit with pearls Mid Tier lines if they shared some finishes. Unfortunately only other option is pay the big bucks for a custom kit
Yes the Reference Pure comes to mind regarding this practice - even different edges along the same outfit.
That’s pretty much how they have their size composition.

As a cs dot user who will put on anything, it would bug me to see different shades of wood interior wise.

I can't buy into "Pearl's copying everyone else" .....

Most manufacturers simply make what people want. If they don't, then they stop being manufacturers.;) The first "all maple" drum shell came out in 1978. The Rogers XP-8. Oh yeah ...... and Pearl came out with an all maple shell ...... in 1978. So ...... does every other manufacturer get chastized for coming out with an "all maple shell":ROFLMAO:
Word.

Last edited:
I'll never understand the problem with too many choices. I mean it sounds SO spoiled, that all those choices are too much to handle mentally. I'm not singling out anyone I'm making a blanket statement because I've seen this stated more than a few times, too many choices.

Dumbing everything down because a few can't seem to handle too many choices...is not what a "for profit" company does.

Be careful what you wish for. If every company had only 3 or less choices, would that be better than to have more choices? No it wouldn't

It's like saying, there's too much air on this planet. Like wwwwhhhhhaaaaatttt? You want less? OK. I don't.
I prefer companies that might offer less choice but produce higher quality items. Noble and Cooley come to mind. Pearl seems kind of like the Walmart of drums. Oh, and you're DEFINITELY singling out a certain somebody here. Who are you kidding?

Yes the Reference Pure comes to mind regarding this practice - even different edges along the same outfit.
That’s pretty much how they have their size composition.

As a cs dot user who will put on anything, it would bug me to see different shades of wood interior wise.

Word.
I mostly use coated heads so I wouldn't notice. I have 3 10" toms right now.. A tour custom, a Gretsch Renown & a SST... The Gretsch has the roughest bearing edges of all 3 (but they aren't rough) and the heaviest hoops and yet the drum sings way better than the other 2 with the Pearl Session Studio coming in last.. But its the reverse order when it comes to Floor Toms

I mostly use coated heads so I wouldn't notice. I have 3 10" toms right now.. A tour custom, a Gretsch Renown & a SST... The Gretsch has the roughest bearing edges of all 3 (but they aren't rough) and the heaviest hoops and yet the drum sings way better than the other 2 with the Pearl Session Studio coming in last.. But its the reverse order when it comes to Floor Toms
Naturally maple has quite the resonance compared to birch foremost, the mahog gives the warm low end bonus for the STS.
Yeah they need all the DC beef they can get- RNs are 30 degree edges if I recall, that’s more shell to skin, couple that with 5 lugs on their 10s and 12s opposed to STS having 6 lugs same sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back