Don't @me on this but I think Pearl ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
Naturally maple has quite the resonance compared to birch foremost, the mahog gives the warm low end bonus for the STS.
Yeah they need all the DC beef they can get- RNs are 30 degree edges if I recall, that’s more shell to skin, couple that with 5 lugs on their 10s and 12s opposed to STS having 6 lugs same sizes.
Yea. I’m starting really prefer Gretsch’s 5 lug philosophy on 10” Toms. I really don’t use a 12 much so mostly prefer the 10… the Renown gives me so much more flexibility then the STS as it’s easier to tone down a drum vs add tone to a quick short punchy drum

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I prefer companies that might offer less choice but produce higher quality items. Noble and Cooley come to mind. Pearl seems kind of like the Walmart of drums. Oh, and you're DEFINITELY singling out a certain somebody here. Who are you kidding?
OK that's cool.

Justinhub2003

Silver Member
I prefer companies that might offer less choice but produce higher quality items. Noble and Cooley come to mind. Pearl seems kind of like the Walmart of drums. Oh, and you're DEFINITELY singling out a certain somebody here. Who are you kidding?

The Walmart of drums. If that means that my Session Studio Select has better hardware, build quality & sound over my German built Sonor SQ1… then yes they are the Walmart of drums and that’s awesome.

Seriously I’d love to compare the build quality of a 1900 dollar pearl SST vs a 5000 dollar noble & Cooley, bc I don’t think it’s as big of a gap as you think. And I’ve played plenty of N&C… especially snares. They don’t sound thousands better.

The Walmart of drums. If that means that my Session Studio Select has better hardware, build quality & sound over my German built Sonor SQ1… then yes they are the Walmart of drums and that’s awesome.

Seriously I’d love to compare the build quality of a 1900 dollar pearl SST vs a 5000 dollar noble & Cooley, bc I don’t think it’s as big of a gap as you think. And I’ve played plenty of N&C… especially snares. They don’t sound thousands better.
Is that the pure or reference pure or masters pure or almost complete SSS? :ROFLMAO:

Ransan

Pearl doesn’t offer tulipwood or walnut like N&C, they only share mahog and maple - OP has a compulsion of throwing things hoping to stick, definitely not research driven… 🤯

Pearl doesn’t offer tulipwood or walnut like N&C, they only share mahog and maple - OP has a compulsion of throwing things hoping to stick, definitely not research driven… 🤯

No that would be Pearl's M.O. copying everything out there and giving it some six word confusing nomenclature.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
The vitriol in this forum can really be off the charts. Why do so many people on here take everything so personal?
I don't really have a dog in this fight, not having strong feelings about Pearl one way or the other, but I mean...you started a thread bashing one of the most popular drum companies, and gave the thread a title that would indicate you knew it was going to ruffle some feathers. Are you really then surprised that feathers were indeed ruffled?

Say what? You're a tosser?
Ah.

Ransan

No that would be Pearl's M.O. copying everything out there and giving it some six word confusing nomenclature.
Ahh you dirty - it is you! By the way Tama has to condense to Tama Starclassic W/B, S.L.P. drum kit Dynamic Kapur, S.L.P. drum kit Fat Spruce…
Maybe that’s the only lesson Pearl can take from descriptive models. But they take care of that redundancy in their nomenclature.

Last edited:

Lennytoons

I've played just about everything out there and have bought what I wanted over the years. I have several Pearl kits and they are all different in some ways. My '96 Session Series kit came out of a recording studio in Nashville and does everything I want it to do beautifully. I always get compliments on it and you can't make it go out of tune. No need for me to defend Pearl drums, they speak for themselves.

bearblastbeats

I had a pearl export as my first real drum in 2000. Right after my Peavy drums.

I always felt pearl was always... well.... made in China... my bro has a 20 year old masters something or other high end pearl he used to tour with but now is a Yamaha player.

I always see pearl as chintzy and blasé.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Pearl seems kind of like the Walmart of drums.
Name another drum company who's flagship line gives your 4 wood types (Maple, Birch, Gum, African Mahogany) and also Carbon Fiber and/or Fiberglass (if you wanna hybrid shell) ..... and you can combine them any way you choose .....

...... among 5 different shells (4 ply with re-rings, 6 ply - 5.4mm. 6 ply - 7.5mm, 8 ply - 10mm, 10 ply - 12.5mm)

And 5 different bearing edges to choose from .....

standard 45, outer 60, inner 45, rounded 45, fully rounded

opentune

Platinum Member

Am not understanding the focus of your confusion with Pearl. You play a Tama.
If I go to look at Tama drum lines, I see 17 lines on their website. 8 of them have 'star' in their name.
If i go to Pearls website I see 18 lines all with very different names.
The difference between 18 and 17 is....one.
So where is the all too confusing number of lines and names for Pearl?

The only company manufacturing in China worth a dime is Tama. They have their own factory, best finishes, tom mounts and hardware too! It's the 21st century! Pearl's tom mounts bust through a 1" hole in the shell. Who in their right mind would want that?

Tama Yo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.