Don't buy a boat...er uh, I mean a venue.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If you had 1 kid who misbehaved WAY more than the others, would he be allowed the same privileges as the rest?
Well 2 wrongs don't make a right. Three lefts do, however.

I would not slight my kid for misbehavior. My dad did that. All he taught me was what not to do. You punish your child accordingly and explain why their behavior is unacceptable. I would be denied food, birthdays would be intentionally ignored, there were beatings, blah blah blah. So yes, the child would still be provided with all the opportunities of the other children. Once they turn 18, they arent my problem anymore. It's my job to teach them how to be decent human beings, not deny them things because I dont agree with their behavior.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Well 2 wrongs don't make a right. Three lefts do, however.

I would not slight my kid for misbehavior. My dad did that. All he taught me was what not to do. You punish your child accordingly and explain why their behavior is unacceptable. I would be denied food, birthdays would be intentionally ignored, there were beatings, blah blah blah. So yes, the child would still be provided with all the opportunities of the other children. Once they turn 18, they arent my problem anymore. It's my job to teach them how to be decent human beings, not deny them things because I dont agree with their behavior.
Meh. I still have no sympathy for bars. They can take their unfair regulation and like it. A great deal of unnecessary nonsense goes on at bars.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I agree that power is an even more harmful drug than liquor
Ultimately, it's all about money. I was arrested for "not serving a minor not alcohol" in order to drive down the value of the property I was trying to sell so that some councilman could buy it cheap. In the case of the ATM, it was to pad the town's budget as they teetered on bankrupcy. The solution to the ATM was to have the (sympathetic) general store owner take their ATM out of service, and in exchange we stopped selling cigs and domes... Probably ~$100/week in profit... which was roughly half of a server's pre-tip salary at the time.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
A very good friend of mine used to own a large & successful bar on Jersey Shore many years back. Some kid got wasted through his friends slipping him extra drinks + pre-drinking. He left the bar, fell in some water, & drowned. Shame for the kid + family, but it closed a very successful business he'd spent years building up, along with punitive financial burden. He's one of the most down to earth & charitable guys you could ever wish to meet too :(

cbphoto

Gold Member
In some jurisdictions, you need to acquire a permit to have an ATM on-premises in a bar. Apparently, this includes the entirety of a shared premises like strip malls. If another business installs an ATM, you need to apply for a permit, and are operating in violation until the permit is obtained. They (city/town zoning/council) can take as long as they want to approve, so that the fines stack up. They can also deny you with ridiculous reasons, like "there's already an ATM next door, why do you need an ATM?", forcing you to re-apply and attend numerous 3-hour council meetings when you only need to be present for 5-10 relevant minutes.
That's our government for ya.

And to think that American colonists revolted against a 3¢ tax per pound of tea. Our current society is so soft & mushy. I'm gonna get another beer to cry in.

C.M. Jones

That's our government for ya.

And to think that American colonists revolted against a 3¢ tax per pound of tea. Our current society is so soft & mushy. I'm gonna get another beer to cry in.
Our founding fathers would be dumfounded by today's conditions. Though taxation without representation was abominable, taxation with representation hasn't worked out so well either.

moodman

One band that I am in practices in a large building (once a small, chicken breeding farm) we have a stage and room to seat 30 or so. We've had parties that size and there is parking , off road, for all.
We've toyed with the idea of a private club, byo, Fri & Sat gigs (6 til 11, we're old)
We have just kicked this around, have not researched it.
Workable idea or, forget about it?

C.M. Jones

One band that I am in practices in a large building (once a small, chicken breeding farm) we have a stage and room to seat 30 or so. We've had parties that size and there is parking , off road, for all.
We've toyed with the idea of a private club, byo, Fri & Sat gigs (6 til 11, we're old)
Even with a private club that follows a "bring your own adult beverage" format, you could be prone to the same vulnerabilities as a full-fledged bar. As you'd own the facility, any mischief that occurred therein could come back to bite you. I wouldn't welcome such a treacherous degree of liability, but I'm a cautious fellow who shrinks from unnecessary risk. I've never even played a slot machine or bought a lottery ticket. Losing money isn't something I take lightly.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Don't do it for a number of reasons.

First and foremost is that chicken farms are usually toxic even long after they are decommissioned. The typical issues are fungal and bacterial respiratory ailments (Histoplasmosis or something like that?).

Second is the alcohol thing. There's a ludonarrative dissonance when it comes to the game of spirits. We are told the (ambiguous) rules to the game, and the narrative explained, and neither match the actual game mechanics. You will get to a point where you no longer think in terms of "how can I benefit/expand/better my enterprise", and instead dwell on "how is the government going to attempt to put me in jail this month".

Yamaha Rider

The little town I live outside of has no bars. There are 2 liquor stores, one at either end of town. If anyone here wants to drink at a bar, they must drive 3 towns over. My wife and I have pondered the idea of a bar here, and think it would go over pretty well. But again, there are zero right now. We do have a phone booth and the biggest car wash I have ever seen though.

Boats, that's a different story. My house is one of the few without a boat (or truck).
Thread drift - but when does a town become a city in the states?
In the UK a city is a very large town*. In the US it can be a one horse town apparently.
*There are a couple of exceptions where little towns have ancient cathedrals and get the official title of city.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
Thread drift - but when does a town become a city in the states?
In the UK a city is a very large town*. In the US it can be a one horse town apparently.
*There are a couple of exceptions where little towns have ancient cathedrals and git the title of city.
A city in the US is an incorporated municipality with it's own government.
Towns are typically governed by the county.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I thought that was a village. Towns have cops and mayors. Maybe that's backwards. I dunno. It's all county where I live, but the little town (~5000) has it's own police and govt. and established boundaries. But there is also a major roadway going through it, so I dunno.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Cities are also hotbeds of perfidy and dissolute conduct. Towns are pockets of virtue free from worldly corruption. That's why property value is higher in cities. People like vice.
Yeah, our nearest neighbor is new to the woods. He is city folk. He tells me how boring the woods are. That's precisely why I live here!

cbphoto

Gold Member
Here on my clump of dirt, the closest town (pop. 200) is 5.5 miles away. The closest city (pop. 60,000) is 15 miles away. The cops don’t come, the county sheriff does, and it takes 20 minutes if he breaks the speed limits on the way. What’s weird is my property taxes pay for a school district in the adjoining county, not the one I live in, but taxes for other "services" (sheriff, road maintenance, etc.) go to entities in my county.

1604FA8C-B044-4C43-BC8F-C008C6F0D405.jpeg