Don't be a slouch.

The Scorpio

Good morning all!

I've gotten into a really bad habit.

Slouching.

I think it comes from never taking lessons. In fact, I'm so used to it now that I really don't feel comfortable behind a kit unless I'm hunched over. When I was 18, it really didn't bother me at all. I'd get a knot on the left side of my neck level with my shoulders, and one on the left side below my shoulder blades, but after a day they'd be gone and I'd be ready to slouch some more. But now, they won't go away.

I'm not in constant pain, but I'm definitely aware of them and paranoia about pinched nerves and numb hands is setting in. I also get a terrible vision of me as an old little hunchbacked man.

Do you guys have any tips and tricks that might help me break this awful habit?

Hope you are all well!

-Kyle

Garvin

Pioneer Member
I have no helpful tips, only the same problem and a feeling of solidarity with all the slouchers out there. The only time I really think about it is usually third set when I start getting tired and I sit up and think "holy crap I slouch a lot"...

I'll set the stop-watch and wait until someone chimes in with "yoga". Surely a valid and proper path toward correct posture, but something I seem to have a hard time finding time or desire to do.

Do some swimming! When sitting - the brain controls and remembers your muscles what they are meant to do...

Spreggy

Silver Member
Maybe set your drums up a little higher, so you have to sit up to play them. Slouch, and you get unintended rim shots.

Practice

I recently bought a shirt called Intelliskin just for this specific reason (Google it). I wear it when I practice to help me not to slouch. I noticed from my very first practice that I'm not as tired after I'm done. I'm not sure if it's a pacebo effect or not, but it's better than slouching the whole time and suffer from it later.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Hi Kyle

You're a bad, bad boy :))

But you're aware of it, that's good, while we're all healthy, strong and well, it's easy to overlook certain aspect of posture(s) while playing the kit, however, we need to be careful, body postures and ergonomics are essential to avoid possible damage to our body.

I started a thread a few months ago, which talked about this topic, there's a few good advices concerning body postures Kyle, if you're interested.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82838

Keep on drumming and seat straight :)

The Scorpio

I have no helpful tips, only the same problem and a feeling of solidarity with all the slouchers out there. The only time I really think about it is usually third set when I start getting tired and I sit up and think "holy crap I slouch a lot"...

I'll set the stop-watch and wait until someone chimes in with "yoga". Surely a valid and proper path toward correct posture, but something I seem to have a hard time finding time or desire to do.

Solidarity through poor posture. I like it. It should be on a t-shirt:) I'm with you on third set exhaustion. I eat a bunch of protein (read: FRIED CHICKEN!!!) before shows now so I can almost make it to the last set without feeling like I'm ready to pass out behind the kit.

Somehow yoga isn't fitting into my schedule either, but most of my friends tell me I should give it a go. I'm still not convinced lol

The Scorpio

I recently bought a shirt called Intelliskin just for this specific reason (Google it). I wear it when I practice to help me not to slouch. I noticed from my very first practice that I'm not as tired after I'm done. I'm not sure if it's a pacebo effect or not, but it's better than slouching the whole time and suffer from it later.

They look really cool! I don't know if I'll be able to get my hands on one but I can see how much that would help (placebo or not lol)

The Scorpio

Hi Kyle

You're a bad, bad boy :))

But you're aware of it, that's good, while we're all healthy, strong and well, it's easy to overlook certain aspect of posture(s) while playing the kit, however, we need to be careful, body postures and ergonomics are essential to avoid possible damage to our body.

I started a thread a few months ago, which talked about this topic, there's a few good advices concerning body postures Kyle, if you're interested.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82838

Keep on drumming and seat straight :)

That was a good thread on this topic! And your first one? I feel nostalgic!

I've tried to tell all my ex's that, yes, I'm bad, but at least I'm aware of it! They didn't bite.

Oh well =D

My kick's probably not doing me any favors. The thing is so big that my rack and floor toms have to be set so far apart!

B

BigSteve

Maybe set your drums up a little higher, so you have to sit up to play them. Slouch, and you get unintended rim shots.

Good idea Spreggy, I've done this very thing and it has helped me be more aware of my posture. Sitting up straight is a must for good posture.

The Scorpio

I'm definitely gonna try this. I've not really had problems with accidental rimshots, but I can see the mechanics behind what you're saying. Do you think tilting the drums a little more toward me might help?

lol I see what you mean about the accidental rimshots now, spreggy. That is a good idea for sure. I really should wait until my second cup of coffee before posting on the forum hahaha

A

Anthony Amodeo

I've been battling the slouch for many years

I've tried lowering my seat.... raising my snare.....focusing on posture .....etc etc

its just that every now and then certain grooves feel better when slouching

I do occasionally fell pain ....nothing major just muscles getting tired from supporting my upper body weight

hopefully it won't eventually become something that affects my playing ....but I've come to accept that I occasionally slouch