Dom Famularo

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If you have forty minutes to spare, or even a few, this interview is a must. Dom Famularo and Paul Quin, DW member, with Liberty Divito, discuss Dom's career and what makes him tick. Dom and Paul are the two founding Members of the Sessions Panel. All great interviews, normally conducted by Dom. Not just drummers but all musicians. I asked Paul, How about an interview with Dom, and he told me it already existed. The best 40 minutes I have spent in a long time. Dom is a Drummer, an educator, a world traveller, and motivational speaker. I met him at a clinic here in Seminole Florida, and that was a night to remember. I walked in the door, Paul introduced me to Dom, and it was like we had know each other for years. Not being sappy but if you want to get, or feel inspired, this man can do it. Watch and enjoy. Thanks Paul.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Dom is a genuine ambassador of drumming and drummers. I was flattered to be interviewed for The Sessions, and Dom and I go way back. We were basically just having a nice conversation for an hour. It turned out to be perhaps the best interview I've ever done. When it was posted, I sat and watched all the way through - which I never do with my interviews - and was happy and proud with it. Not because I said anything particularly amazing, but because the dynamic with Dom was really good, and he asked great questions that made me think. I have lots of stock answers about what I do, but didn't get to use many of them that day. Dom is a real treasure.

Dom truly is a treasure to the drumming community. I have the pleasure of knowing my first TWO drum clinics ever attended featured Dom Famularo and Billy Cobham when the two them did a clinic tour together for Tama drums, and Zildjian cymbals back in the Fall of 1984, and Fall of 1985. The "It's your Move" materials he handed out have been a helpful inspiration ever since. I would see him three more times in clinic since, most recently in 2004. Saw him with the aforementioned Mr.DeVitto in 1989 at a local clinic as well. Truly worth the price of admission!

NickSchles

If you have forty minutes to spare, or even a few, this interview is a must. Dom Famularo and Paul Quin, DW member, with Liberty Divito, discuss Dom's career and what makes him tick. Dom and Paul are the two founding Members of the Sessions Panel. All great interviews, normally conducted by Dom. Not just drummers but all musicians. I asked Paul, How about an interview with Dom, and he told me it already existed. The best 40 minutes I have spent in a long time. Dom is a Drummer, an educator, a world traveller, and motivational speaker. I met him at a clinic here in Seminole Florida, and that was a night to remember. I walked in the door, Paul introduced me to Dom, and it was like we had know each other for years. Not being sappy but if you want to get, or feel inspired, this man can do it. Watch and enjoy. Thanks Paul.

I'll check it out, thanks! I've met Dom a couple of times, and he seems like a great dude. That said, I've always thought he switching to Pro-Mark just after Vic Firth passed away was a bit distasteful!

Suburbankidz

Thank you for posting this video. I was very interested in learning about the dual talents--drummers that also were dancers-- or good writers, artists etc...that creative spark that inspires people start out on that incredible artistic journey. Interesting that Dom mentions the Brubeck Carnegie Hall recording. I just got that CD and I was astounded at Morello's playing on "Castillian
Drums.". Had it on while driving in the car and that solo started and I literally had to pull over to listen. I thought I was going to go off the road-talk about distracted driving! I kept thinking, how did I never know that this recording existed? Just incredible playing-- and the whole quartet was really on their best form--wow!