Does this bass drum make me look small?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
So true! Buddy, Gene, Chick Webb.....all those early swing guys played either 26 or 28 inchers. It was unheard of to have anything smaller before the 50s, I guess.

And I have no trouble hauling this around. It fits in the passenger section of my quad cab on the truck. It's easier to deal with than a 22x16 or 22x18.
That's cause it takes a "real man" to carry a larger kick drum-those guys were drumming giants. Actually my 24 in Pearl Decade virgin kick is way lighter than a 16X13 Pearl POD kick drum I have and a 16 Sonor Safari kick drum. Way, way, way lighter. Just because a drum is larger or smaller doesn't tell you anything about the weight. To be fair both the small kicks have lots of hardware-the virgin kick low mass hardware and thinner shells. I like both small and larger kicks both fun to play for different reasons. I like the larger cause how it feels to me playing (Moving all that air)-not so much an interest in what the audience gets.

Last edited:

Channing

I think it looks cool. For me the problems would be trying to fit it in my Nissan Versa and also the awkward tom placement. Does it feel good to play with the tom way over there?

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
If I didn't use a mic, it's perfect (think 40's big band). Mic'd up? HELLYEAH!!!
Go big or go home!:LOL::LOL:

Seriously...I wouldn't want to lug that around if i were gigging regularly. But it would be great for the occasional use or at home all the time.
Big & boomy!!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think it looks cool. For me the problems would be trying to fit it in my Nissan Versa and also the awkward tom placement. Does it feel good to play with the tom way over there?
It’s actually not bad with the tom over there. Again, the old timers played that way too. Check out Jack White on drums with the Dead Weather, he’s doing basically the same thing where everything is to the side rather than up higher and in front. It’s just a different dance.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I bet you could play that 40 in kick as a kick but then play tom fills on it by hitting it in different locations or stifling with a finger to change pitch in fill. Shoot watch video idiot-thats what he's doing. Jeez. That would be awesome-snare and kick-then hats and cymbal. Actually it isn't the kick that makes you look small Bo it is those gigantic hi hats you're playing man. What are those two 18 in cymbals or is that an optical illusion??

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Honestly it doesn't look that bad with the rest of the setup. If there was a pile of toms on top then yeah, you would look lost back there.

Don't feel bad. Us tall guys who set everything low and flat look like we are playing a childs kit.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I bet you could play that 40 in kick as a kick but then play tom fills on it by hitting it in different locations or stifling with a finger to change pitch in fill. Shoot watch video idiot-thats what he's doing. Jeez. That would be awesome-snare and kick-then hats and cymbal. Actually it isn't the kick that makes you look small Bo it is those gigantic hi hats you're playing man. What are those two 18 in cymbals or is that an optical illusion??
Those are 17s. Love those!

Woolwich

Silver Member
I don’t think you look very much different to many people using a large bass drum. Taller people using a 24” bass drum will often position their tom as you have, if you hadn’t mentioned the size I’d have thought it was “only “ a 24” as opposed to a 26”.
I’ve recently had the opposite thought, after a recent gig an audience member said that most drummers he sees sit behind the kit, he thought I sat “over” it , maybe down to using a 20” bass drum and “FAST” depth toms set at the lowest possible height.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
That thing is ridiculous. 🤣

If you don't mind carrying it, and you like the way it sounds, then play whatever you want and to heck with what everyone else thinks. (y)

Lee-Bro

I just can't get over the fact that it appears you nearly have your back turned to the floor tom. I'm sure it's just the photo angle, but dang.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I just can't get over the fact that it appears you nearly have your back turned to the floor tom. I'm sure it's just the photo angle, but dang.
Probably could have left the floor tom at home and gotten by just fine. It does look awkward.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Looks like your seat is way high, and you're sorta falling forward. Are you sitting that high because the drum is so big and you wanna look, well, taller?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Looks like your seat is way high, and you're sorta falling forward. Are you sitting that high because the drum is so big and you wanna look, well, taller?
After I saw this picture, I dropped everything by two inches and it immediately felt more comfortable.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Yeah. I saw a pic of myself playing and my legs had that same angle. I lowered my seat. I have much less fatigue now; I'm no longer using my leg muscles to keep myself from moving forward.

After I saw this picture, I dropped everything by two inches and it immediately felt more comfortable.

Peedy

Hey Bo, skaa-roo people who hastle you about you size. I have the opposite problem at 7 feet. Play like you have something inside of you to give and let the rest take care of itself.

Pete