Does the Musician's Friend SDOTD ever have drum gear?

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Just an observation and a bit of a rant, it never seems like the Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the Day ever has drum stuff. Usually it is some guitar or PA speaker or stand or cable or whatever. Sometimes the stuff is barely discounted, but either way it never seems to drum stuff. Even the Stupid Deals of the Hour never seem to include anything drum related.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
They don't often have drum goodies. Being owned by the same conglomerate as Guitar Center, they are very guitar oriented. Once in a while an electronic drum set will appear.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
They don't often have drum goodies. Being owned by the same conglomerate as Guitar Center, they are very guitar oriented. Once in a while an electronic drum set will appear.

Yeah, and I guess as I said that it looks like there's a cajon up now. Plus I guess a lot of what is up as the stupid deals are the GC/MF house brands as well.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Over the holidays one of their stupid deals was a Digital Reference 4-piece drum microphone set for $50, which I grabbed - a good set of beater mics for live gigs at least, and at $12.50 a mike, made decent economic sense. They're not the worst mics in the world.

But no, the SDOTD/Daily Pick is often not something most drummers need or want. If they had a predictable rotation (such as Guitarist Monday, Bass Tuesday, Live Sound Wednesday, Drum Thursday, etc.) it might be more egalitarian, but they also want eyeballs clicking in every day.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Over the holidays one of their stupid deals was a Digital Reference 4-piece drum microphone set for $50, which I grabbed - a good set of beater mics for live gigs at least, and at $12.50 a mike, made decent economic sense. They're not the worst mics in the world.

But no, the SDOTD/Daily Pick is often not something most drummers need or want. If they had a predictable rotation (such as Guitarist Monday, Bass Tuesday, Live Sound Wednesday, Drum Thursday, etc.) it might be more egalitarian, but they also want eyeballs clicking in every day.

I think I have that same Digital Reference set. I got them for $50 from GC years ago. The kick drum mic was pretty junky, but I found that the other mics performed pretty similar to SM57s but in a smaller package.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I think I have that same Digital Reference set. I got them for $50 from GC years ago. The kick drum mic was pretty junky, but I found that the other mics performed pretty similar to SM57s but in a smaller package.

I use the kick mic on the floor tom instead - I understand it's got the same freq range and profile as the other mics in the package, but the larger diaphragm works nicely on the floors. I stuck to my Sennheiser e901 in my kick.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well, look at it from their perspective:

There are far, far, far more people who buy guitars and guitar related accessories than buy drums and drum related accessories.

If they put a drum item as their deal of the day, they would be vastly reducing the number of potential buyers by a large margin.

C.M. Jones

Their awards program is pretty appealing. Building points can lead to serious savings. That's one reason I buy from them.

iCe

Since I'm from Europe i don't look there, but over here it's basically the same with all the music stores here too. The Thomann sale-tabloid has multiple pages, multiple on guitar, dj, keyboards etc. and only one on drums. From Bax-Shop you'd get a glossy each 3 or 4 months, which is pretty extensive but still only 2 or 3 pages on drum gear. And most of the time it's entry level stuff as well or from their housebrands.

I give it a quick glance and then it's off to the recycle bin. I do look at all the B-stock sales on almost weekly basis to see if some models are a steal. Since Stanton Moore (spelling?) left Sabian/Cresent his signature cymbals have dropped drastically since they want to clear stock. I also got my 20" 2002 Novo China as a b-stock for a €40,- discount compared to a brand new model. It's a bit of a gamble though, because the price lowers every week the listed item hasn't sold so you could end up with a bargain or wait too long and somebody else gets it.

They had the Nikco McBrain Paiste collectors box (with all the cymbals he uses) with sold for roughly €14.000, but since nobody bought it eventually the price dropped and after a month or 3 i believe it was down to €6700. Guess someone snatched it since it wasn't listed anymore one day.

LarryJ

Very seldom see drum stuff, but every once in a while ...

Got a Protection Racket 13 x 6-1/2 snare bag for $15 the week after I got my 13 x 7 zTama Artwood.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Guitar Center also has a 'deal of the day' type thing. Yesterday it was some type of cajon.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yes, very little drum stuff.
But after all, it is called the "Stupid" Deal of the Day.

KamaK

Platinum Member
FWIW, whenever it is drum stuff, someone usually links it here, and it's gone/depleted in an hour.

The best drumming specific SDOTD I saw was an 18" Wuhan china for ~$30. It was gone before I could find my wallet.