Does the Music Move You when You Play?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
It moves me. It moves me to the point that nothing else in the world matters. Music is my true form of escapism. I exist on a totally different plane of reality - one that I sometimes have a hard time coming back from.

What about you?

It moves me. It moves me to the point that nothing else in the world matters. Music is my true form of escapism. I exist on a totally different plane of reality - one that I sometimes have a hard time coming back from.

What about you?

It moves me when it all comes together beautifully and everyone is bang on the same wavelength. When it doesn't, it's like fingernails on a blackboard.

Most definitely. Not all the time, but enough.

I am the opposite.. When i'm not playing music can make me cry, dance, feel.. when i play i go blank and have nothing. Which will make me always be bad :)

It can be the salve on the day's wounds, it can be a flight of fancy, it can be pure escapist joy or spiritual bliss. And then sometimes it's !#@$ing WORK.

It does.

Music works as a stress-reliever for me, in addition to helping me steam ahead and stay focused when I feel I haven't the strength or drive to continue. Music allows me to tap into a hidden part of my inner-self which affords me the ability to draw upon coping skills I never knew I possessed. Music also enables me to forget about the daily rigors of life. Music is my escape from the real world.

In a nutshell, music is my healer.

Just sometimes there's that magic moment when everything just clicks.

Also sometimes you can go through the motions and play a song which bores you, but someone in the audience is really moved by it for some reason. So you can't always judge the value of a song while you're playing.

For me there is a sweet spot with every song where the feeling is almost euphoric. Every song has a heartbeat and when the band is up, and we all find it, it is wonderful. Its not about me playing brilliantly its about the band really cooking and making the songs live. Love it.

I just like hitting things and any excuse to take off my shirt.

There is music that moves me when I listen to it. Being able to play those songs just takes that feeling even further.

For me there is a sweet spot with every song where the feeling is almost euphoric. Every song has a heartbeat and when the band is up, and we all find it, it is wonderful. Its not about me playing brilliantly its about the band really cooking and making the songs live. Love it.

^^^ This.

There are two songs that I play with my jazz band, that our singer used to have difficulties with. However, now that she's nailed them, they're probably her strongest ones and I usually get real actual tears in my eyes and goose bumps when we do them. I don't know if that affects my playing, but it makes me feel wonderful.

^^^ This.

There are two songs that I play with my jazz band, that our singer used to have difficulties with. However, now that she's nailed them, they're probably her strongest ones and I usually get real actual tears in my eyes and goose bumps when we do them. I don't know if that affects my playing, but it makes me feel wonderful.

Sounds great. A couple of years ago we were auditioning singers and a 20 something female turned up. She had decided to do "Love you more than you will ever know", the Amy Winehouse version.
She absolutely nailed it, but decided the band was not for her. I loved playing it on the night in question, as did the rest of the guys, and we recorded the sessions for obvious reasons.

As I say, It was great to play, as I was following the vocalist, all her inflections and emotions. Afterwards the rest of the band said the same thing. "Oh, I usually follow the bass but I was just responding to the vocals" This from the guitarist. On later listening back to that recording it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, still does.

I move the music when I play. :)

Yes. It's the reason why I play. The moments are sometimes fleeting, but I savor them. I wouldn't be doing this if not for those moments.

I feel EXACTLY the same.

Even if there is a song that isn't my "cup of tea"....I STILL psych myself into having fun with it.

What about you?

Same.

Music affects me so much at times that I have to stop listening to it as it makes me too emotional. This is fine at home but when at work it's bad.

Take something like a film, at a high emotion kinda crescendo, take the music out and you don't feel the motion of the scene. If a scene is meant to be emotional, you need the right music.

Put the right music in and I get upset about anything

Playing-wise, when I'm jamming along to music, sometimes the big emotional moment comes and I get that buzz from the back of my ears and it's just amazing.

Damn I love music

The related topic is does it affect you TOO much when playing. I love the observation larryace (the other Larry) made a while back about not getting drunk when you're serving the beer. Or something like that. It's really true. You can't be so intoxicated by the music that your playing suffers. It's easy to fall into that trap. I have many times and it's only recently that I feel like I'm better at avoiding it.

You can't be so intoxicated by the music that your playing suffers. It's easy to fall into that trap. I have many times and it's only recently that I feel like I'm better at avoiding it.

Interesting observation. I never thought about that.

I become more moved when I enter the "zone." When you and the music are one - kind of like dancing with the perfect partner. There's no thinking there's just existence.

Back