Does the existence of this drum kit seem crazy to anyone else?

IBitePrettyHard

This DW Collector's kit seems hilarious to me. It sounds great and looks like a blast to play.........but who would buy a prebuilt monstrosity like this? Especially in these colors?

Wouldn't someone who pays $12k to $15k for a massive kit want their own sizes and colors? Who would buy this? The fact that DW made this, or a supplier ordered this seems mighty ballsy and/or presumptuous, does it not? lol

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It doesn't seem that wacky to me. The color is not offensive. Take away the gong drum, the octobans and the sub thingys and you have a regular 9 piece set ha ha.

Viva la difference.

IBitePrettyHard

It doesn't seem that wacky to me. The color is not offensive. Take away the gong drum, the octobans and the sub thingys and you have a regular 9 piece set ha ha.

Viva la difference.
I agree Teal Glass isn't offensive, it just seems like an odd choice for such a massive kit, considering the small number of potential buyers. Wouldn't a neutral wrap make better sense, something in the 'Top 15' most popular wraps?

Like Silver Sparkle, Red Sparkle, WMP, Black Diamond Pearl, Gloss Black, etc...

Any of those colors would greatly increase the number of potential buyers IMO.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Seems pretty okay to me. I seem to remember Pearl, Tama, and others offering giant kits not that long ago. Big 9 piece monsters was fairly normal. I used to drool over the Tama catalogue that had a Dave Lombardo kit in it. 11 piece, 6 up 2 down.

All the talk on here of shell banks for any situation, this kit fits the bill nicely. If anything, you have 3 kicks and enough toms to make 3 kits. Keep what you want, sell the rest.

lefty2

Platinum Member
A rich 15-year old would buy it in a heartbeat. LOL in the eighties I was rocking a 10-piece kit however it did not have a price tag like that one. Every store should have one kit similar to that. I wouldn't expect them to stock a whole bunch of them though I'm sure 4 and 5 piece entry to mid-level grade is there bread and butter

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I feel like all custom-build manufacturers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. With demo kits that go outside the box at all...They have make something to show off what they can do, but who is actually going to buy that one? Today's buyers are conditioned to question/agonize over every minute detail from ply layups to a single inch of depth...I agree finding the perfect match of drummer to that kit is a pretty long shot.

Are they really expecting to sell it at full price? Are they taking a chance, or is it a custom order that fell through?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Well ..... The Drum Shop Maine probably had to of ordered it. I doubt DW just sends 12 piece drum set out randomly. I was at Guitar Center Hollywood a few weeks ago, and they had this on the floor $12,700. What I thought was pretty cool was that the interior of the drums were finished just like the exterior.

And I agree with W-W.
I feel like all custom-build manufacturers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. With demo kits that go outside the box at all...They have make something to show off what they can do, but who is actually going to buy that one?
My take on it. It's kinda like that 4 foot tall bong every head shop has on the shelf. Yeah, who the hell is gonna buy that. But it's their flagship piece of glass. Certainly "some" people are impressed with it. If it sells ..... cha-ching goes the register, and they order another one. If not, They have at least a "centerpiece" for the shop.

Attachments

danondrums

I like it.
If you can get a good tone out of those bass drum woofers you could make 5 kits out of this with 5 different bass drum options. :)
Sets like this are probably meant as a center piece to keep people in the store and give them something fun to talk about and the shop expects to sell it at a discounted rate after being there a year or two as their worst case scenario.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Why would you buy that when you could buy this??

10, 11, 12, 12, 13, 13, 16, 18, 24, 24, weird. With fly toms, symbols, peddles, base drums, and rotor tom? Something seems off...

Cool kit none the less.

CompactDrums

Silver Member
Actually, there is a logic... Although the subtle and top 10 finishes will greatly increase the pool of potential buyers, I always wrap my own kits in something unique and way out there. Especially if I plan on selling them right away. Why? I don't care about how many potential buyers I have.... I only need one buyer... and that one buyer who decides he wants a kit just like this one, he has zero options. Not only do my kits always sell, I always get my asking price. The tradeoff is it can sometimes take a while til that one buyer sees my ad.

Same with this kit. It's not meant to appeal to the masses but it will sell at full asking price even if it has to get the seller and brand lots of free publicity until it does sell. :) Just look at this thread. Now we are all aware of this seller and the brand is in fresh memory

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The description doesn't match the kit. There are no rocket toms, or whatever DW calls them, listed. Instead, it lists like 5 floor toms, one of which (16x18) looks more like a reso-less kick drum. This means, if you count the woofers as bass drums, there are 6.

14x24 VLX Shell (A timbre note), 14x24 VLX Shell (A), 8x10 VLT Shell (D#), 8x12 VLT Shell (G), 10x13 VLT (E flat), 14x14 X (C), 16x16 VLX (D), 16x18 VLX (G#) 6x14 Snare VLT Shell (E flat), 7x13 Snare VLT Shell (G),
14x16 VLX Shell (C), 16x18 VLX Shell (G#), 16x20 Gong Bass Drum VLX Shell (F), 8x24 Woofer, 8x24 Woofer
(SSC Pure Maple Shells)

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I bought this 8-piece last year. And it had cost me less than 4k. I did sell it because I like shorter toms/kicks and standing floors:
dw luuk.JPG

I now have a 4-piece in my exact sizes that will turn into a 6-piece early next year. This kit will set me back at 6k though. I will add a 21x14 gong too next year, so it will end up being a 7-piece:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The description doesn't match the kit. There are no rocket toms, or whatever DW calls them, listed. Instead, it lists like 5 floor toms, one of which (16x18) looks more like a reso-less kick drum. This means, if you count the woofers as bass drums, there are 6.

14x24 VLX Shell (A timbre note), 14x24 VLX Shell (A), 8x10 VLT Shell (D#), 8x12 VLT Shell (G), 10x13 VLT (E flat), 14x14 X (C), 16x16 VLX (D), 16x18 VLX (G#) 6x14 Snare VLT Shell (E flat), 7x13 Snare VLT Shell (G),
14x16 VLX Shell (C), 16x18 VLX Shell (G#), 16x20 Gong Bass Drum VLX Shell (F), 8x24 Woofer, 8x24 Woofer
(SSC Pure Maple Shells)
They are all there, except that the rata-toms are mentioned as hanging floor sizes (14x16 and 16x18). Three floors ( 14x14, 16x16, 16x18) and one ''gong'' floor (16x20)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
They are all there, except that the rata-toms are mentioned as hanging floor sizes (14x16 and 16x18). Three floors ( 14x14, 16x16, 16x18) and one ''gong'' floor (16x20)
That's what I'm saying, they obviously aren't 14x16 and 16x18, more like 14x6 and 16x6. Also, there are 4 rack toms. The last one obviously isn't 14x14. So is it 10x14, or is the first tom 6x8 and not listed? The description is wrong.