Does the Drum Dial serve a purpose if you're using a Tune Bot?

aarono2690

I currently have both and I've been thinking about selling my Drum Dial. Before I sell it I was curious if there are any roles the Drum Dial fills that the Tune Bot cannot. Is there any specific benefit to owning both or is the Tune Bot sufficient for most people?

Thanks,

Drum dial lets me quickly get my heads close to where I want them. Then I use a tunebot like device to fine tune them.
Sounds like Drum Dial can shave off some time doing large macro adjustments before making small adjustments with the Tune Bot where as the Tune Bot may require more time to get you to that same overall spot?

I would have to say no. My Drum Dial has sat unused since I bought a tune-bot.

I finger tighten tension rods first before bringing them up in a star pattern, finishing up with a tune-bot when they're close. There's no need to check my work with a Drum Dial since I trust the process.

Incidentally, this is what proves to me that I do in fact know how to tune by ear since I get pretty close to finished before using the tune-bot to fine tune. It wasn't always this way but using the tune-bot actually taught me to tune, negating the objection that tune-bots create dependencies and stifle development of skill.

I use Drum Dial to get it close, then by ear. my Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Holds any tuning really well. I have to drop the drum dial on them now so i can write down the numbers because im loving the Tuning right now.

I found the drum dial works wonders with inexpensive kits that lug resistance doesn't reflect head tension-so you can clear and evenly distribute forces quickly with a drum dial. I use the iDrum tune lite-a freebie pitch phone app to dial it in to a pitch and works pretty well. Just measuring tension in center with Drum dial tells me what pitch it is likely close to (with a given size head) with pitch app so it can get you close fast.

I had both for a while, but found the TuneBot faster and more accurate. I didn't trust the readings I was getting from the Drum Dial when using EC2 heads, due to the mesh insert. I eventually sold the drum dial.

One specific case I’ve wished I had a drum dial, in the change over in a festival using a supplied kit. There were speeches during our changeover, so I couldn’t tap the drums to hear how they sounded. I could see wrinkles on the toms, so I ended up pushing in the centre, tightening the loose lugs until the wrinkles went, then hoped for the best. A drum dial would have been handy.

Tune-bot still works when it's a bit noisy. No worse than tuning by ear and that has been the norm forever.
This is why you keep the Drum Dial. You use it in environments where it's too loud for the TuneBot.

This is why you keep the Drum Dial. You use it in environments where it's too loud for the TuneBot.
You have a point (and not to disrespect anyone) but the tune-bot is so much more effective than the Drum Dial as to basically render the DD useless. Useless to me, anyway.

I tune my drums before every gig so they're ready to go when I arrive at the venue. I've spot checked them a few times and they're always in tune so I don't even bother now unless I have tons of time to kill.

I support any and all attempts to improve one's tuning skills. Whatever works, works. (y)

Back