Does the cymbal stand make a difference in the cymbal's sound?

cbphoto

Gold Member
Is this something you can test with that fancy recording equipment? Like do a straight stand vs boom stand vs hanging from a string vs tip of the finger vs you get the idea. Is this something that can be seen in the soundwave if all other factors are equal? Or mic the stand and see if it does anything when the cymbal is hit. I dunno. I think this is an answerable question.
I think it’s do-able. But you’ll have to send me all your cool cymbal stands. 🤔
Edit: maybe lay two sound waves on top of each other and invert one to find differences.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have a double tom stand on top of my bass drum, and when I hit the bass drum, I can hear the tom bracket tubes humming, not rattling, but humming.

MntnMan62

I have some older light duty stands where the legs are flat to the ground and I have large double braced boom cymbal stands. I hear no difference in sound.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I think it’s do-able. But you’ll have to send me all your cool cymbal stands. 🤔
Edit: maybe lay two sound waves on top of each other and invert one to find differences.
All my cool stands are old. Maybe old vs new stands too. Tube diameters probably matter too. Yeah, let's go with that! This is crazy. Pretty soon there will be a "Best Stand for Ping" thread.

The stand itself ? In my opinion No. Connection point ..... felts and such yes. But we’re talking stand . No discernible difference.

I equate this , and put it right up there with .....

My truck / car / .............what have you .......

Runs better when it’s clean 😳🙄. ... Ummmmm ...... No 🤨. It’s a mind thing IMHO .

opentune

Platinum Member
Having lighter stands enhance your cymbals sounds makes complete phyiscal sense. Your cymbal is at some point vibrating (sending energy) down the tubes/metal of the cymbal stand.When the stand has higher mass you have then effectively taken energy out of cymbal vibration working to vibrate that mass of stand.(think about how freely your cymbal could vibrate if hanging by a string)
Clamping down on cymbal felts would be worse - enhance that transfer of energy away for the cymbal (and also mute via the felts).
This is one reason cymbals on straight stands sound slightly different than boom stands (I think Jojo Mayer was on to that).

BUT I am pretty sure none of us can hear these differences except when playing alone, and quietly, or recording quiet cymbal work.

MrTheOne

Ok, somebody needs to do some science and confirm one way or the other. Get an oscilliscope (sp?) amd some really sensitive mics.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I've had similar thoughts about physical shock going down the stands and making noises in microphones that are all attached to a drum rack. Until I discovered these clever little things...https://www.crsnorway.com/

index.png

which isolate the cymbal from the stand. I normally mount a small cymbal directly from my bass drum and I could really hear a 'bang' in the bass drum mics when I hit it - plus the cymbal would ring a little bit when I played the bass drum. This device has eliminated that problem for me.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I for one don’t see how this would be an issue in the studio or live. In the final mix of studio songs, only the initial attack and about half the fade of cymbals is heard anyway. And in a live setting, your crashes are pretty much immediately drowned out by the other instruments.

I wouldn’t spend too much time measuring out felt thickness or taking a cut-off wheel to your stand braces. As in the end, you’ll see it never really mattered.

One1

Nope. No difference. People change stands but rarely carry the dampers from the old stand. They either come with new dampers or people put new ones on. If they brought the old dampers over with the cymbals results would be the same.

the only way there could be any difference is if the stand that was less stable didn’t stand it’s ground as well as a solid stand allowing more force to be transfer to the cymbal On the more sturdy stand. People are trying to come up with reasons on the end Result, the difference is at the start.