Does everyone go through a drum rack phase?

RickP

Gold Member
I had a rack ( Gibraltar) back in the mid 90’s - thought it would be great for the gigs I was playing at that time. I was wrong , it actually did not decrease set up or tear down time to be honest and it was big and bulky and heavy .

I now use very lightweight stands ( Tama Classic series and Canopus) and it is so much better .

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Although I've replied in this thread eons ago, racks are not a phase for me, they're a tool, a choice, just like anything else. It's never been a visual thing, in fact, I'm generally not a fan of the aesthetic.

I use a rack when there's significant advantage in doing so - it really is as simple as that.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm with Andy on this one. When I got my ICON single rack, I did have intentions of making some kind of art statement with it, but I'm too practical for that and never got beyond it doing what it does - just a tool to hold everything. I discovered if I play my "big kit" (six drums and at least two cymbals), the rack does work great for that and makes load in and load outs much easier. So this isn't a phase for me either - it's just another took to use to get the job done. I do have other kits where I don't need the rack, so I guess I adapt to what I need. In the last two years now, I don't think I've used the same kit twice anyway. It's always music-dependent to me - the music dictates what I use on a gig, so if I use my rack, or not, depends on a lot of factors.

petrez

Bought my Gibraltar rack back in 2008, never really looked back, I love it. At least when I favor using a big kit, even live. I do see it's shortcomings though, and I plan to at least buy some stands to keep around in case I need to use a smaller kit. But for now, playing only metal with my two bands and have a large enough car and usually enough place on the places we play live, I prefer the rack.87198

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

I bought a DW kit back in like 2008 that came with a rack, and I used that with my Pearl kit until last year, when I got my Yamahas and bought some 9000 stands to replace the rack. The Yamaha are beautiful drums and I missed being able to see the nice fade lacquer, so I think I made the right choice. The 9000s might be even sturdier than the rack too. The rack has since been turned into a snare drum shelf.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

See, to me this is the perfect reason to use a rack. Cool pic!

TBH, I don't envy your set-up and tear-down time though. :)
It's not as.bad as you think. Granted I've had this rig for 20+ years, so I've worked out all the kinks and have a routine for set up and take down (see Larry's thread about leaving gear behind). There's a lot of cases and they load in and out in a particular order. All the hardware goes into an skb hardware case with wheels which simplifies things, but its refrigerator heavy, so it keeps me in shape. A furniture dolly helps a lot too.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I bought a rack for my studio. The idea was to shrink the footprint, clear up floor space etc and mostly to allow me to switch drums quickly. Short of reducing the kit size, it didn't do any of those things except eliminate Mic stands. Without it I am using clip odd which I don't care for

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Back to a rack. This 9000 rack is lighter then my Dw and even Yamaha stands and makes for clean floor space. I would like to add the snare stand extensions for even more space.
68981297_10220093435505763_2790071512088969216_n.jpgWhatsApp Image 2019-08-22 at 22.39.27.jpeg69511854_10220149598069792_1542636756757643264_n.jpg

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It's not as.bad as you think. Granted I've had this rig for 20+ years, so I've worked out all the kinks and have a routine for set up and take down (see Larry's thread about leaving gear behind). There's a lot of cases and they load in and out in a particular order. All the hardware goes into an skb hardware case with wheels which simplifies things, but its refrigerator heavy, so it keeps me in shape. A furniture dolly helps a lot too.
That's really cool that such a large rig has worked for you for that long. That's really impressive!

I'm a little curious though...what's your set-up and tear-down time.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

It's about 25-30 minutes. Usually at gigs we get there at least an hour before doors so there isn't a rush to get it set up. It's just part of being a metal drummer.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Work in progress.

Indeed lighter than my 9000 stands, easier to set up (if marked properly), smaller footprint overall (compared to four double tom stands I had) and always the same setup.

Yeah, I love it.

71211527_2117019935273463_6794049581169508352_n.jpg

I put off getting a rack for years, and could get by with out one. I finally bought one. It does make set up and tear down quicker and does lessen the foot print. Since I’m ditching my double bass kit for a single, I’m going to go the route Drumminjc took with his old DW kit....racks either side of the bass drum.