Does everybody Ventilate their drum room

Moonunit100

Hi.
I'm going round in circles figuring out methods of soundproofing a ventilation system for my drum room which currently is air tight.
My question is - what do you do. Do you have a ventilation system or do you just open the door after an hour or two and go for a drink or a snack!

Stroker

Platinum Member
Tell me a little more about the room itself. Are the walls concrete? Is it above or below grade? Are you soundproofing due to noise restrictions?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have never seen a room 100% air tight. what are the walls, inner and outer, made of. It has a door but no windows? Is there heat or air conditioning to the room?

picodon

Silver Member
I don't have a ventilation system. The room is small (10 sqm) and 4 people can play for 2 hours without any questions asked. It's so airtight it's hard to close the door.

Don't try this at home, of course :)

In doubt it should be easy to do the math on the amount of oxygen.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I haven't been bothered by the lack of ventilation yet, but I had to bungie the gas access panel because every time I opened the door, the panel would fall off from the suction and fall on the floor.

I have a couple of Chinese Evergreens and some other kind of Pothos that is supposed to clean the air, under a grow light.

Toolate

Platinum Member
The building code does not allow a room to have no source of ventilation. Not that you care but it is a thing for good reason and I would want some form if possible. Not many drum rooms around here I dont think oddly.

G

Ghostnote

I'm currently building a room-in-a-room in my garage and once the doors and seals are done it should be 100% airtight (God knows, I used enough backer rod and caulk) and I plan on installing two ducts, an intake and and exhaust with a bathroom fan on the exhaust side to force some air exchange. You don't want too much warm, humid air hanging around your room too long or you may get mould problems over time.

The way to do this is to build and install baffle boxes over your ducts.

Attachments

Moonunit100

Thanks for all the answers so far. The room is about 8x8x8 and reasonably well sealed, probably about 95 per cent air tight! I have a small dehumidifier running 24/7 in there. Walls are acoustic plasterboard, acoustic sealant all round, double doors with acoustic seals. I've looked at Baffle box type vents but it seems they are more suited to cutting out fan noise, they seem like they will compromise my soundproofing. The main consideration is the noise level outside the room. Don't want to upset my neighbours.
I'm hearing quite a few people are doing just fine with no vents so I'm tempted to do the same.

WallyY

Platinum Member
You should probably have some kind of vent.

Effects of too much CO2 is similar to heavy exercise.
You don't want to sit down to change a drum head and then doze off only to find out you croaked.

I have a friend who owns a Critter Control company. State law requires him to kill all the animals he catches. He uses CO2 and the second he puts the gas on they go clunk.
I've worked in breweries and when you remove the blow off valve to run the gas out, if you don't open the doors to the cool room you get dizzy quickly.
You can pass out without knowing.

It's a danger.

I would put a vent near the floor because co2 sinks.
Maybe two very small vents with baffles and a small fan to recirculate the air.
Maybe even just a computer fan. If it's very tight it should recirc the air fine.

Maybe make a box with a tube and just insulate the box around the tube?

If your neighbors mention that they can hear you, tell them drumming is the only thing in the world that matters to you and end the conversation before they can complain.

Moonunit100

I think I might spend £80 on a Co2 detector just to be on the safe side and then see how I get on with no ventilation. If it becomes an issue I can revisit the problem later.
I just don't see how those Baffle boxes are going to block the sound well enough. So far I haven't heard of one person who has them on a drum room where stopping sound from escaping is the issue.