Does buying pre owned bother you?

So you found a 21 year old NOS kit...is it branded? Sitting in someone's basement unused all these years??

It's a Yamaha Stage Custom. The guy selling it said that his mother had bought it for his brother but his brother never used it. The condition of the boxes was pristine. I'm guessing they sat in the house, probably the living area of the house, for all these years. I didn't want to pry as to why the brother didn't use them, concerned that maybe something happened to him.

I carefully buy used equipment, in person only. Firstly, much of my snare and kit purchases have been vintage/collectors drums. Secondly, much of those purchases are far below market/retail value. I'm thrifty and openly admit that. I have had great fortune in finding some very rare and valuable gems on the resale market, incredibly cheap. I comb FB marketplace, Craigslist, Thrift stores, Pawn shops, et al. multiple times daily, and have alerts set up.

I would not have been able to afford to have purchased much of what I have, buying new, or paying retail.

Last edited:
I buy used, I buy new, I buy junk, I buy amazingly great stuff. I'm ALWAYS looking for a deal. In the past, in my area, few choices--drums were NEVER cheap.

I end up with problems on occasion. I recently purchased a vintage 60s Slingerland hi hat stand. Here, take a look. . .

What, Don't you see in the pics? Everything is close up, one pic of the entire stand--also at a weird angle This stand leans to the left at about 15-20 degrees. It won't be too difficult to level out. I have some ideas. But listed as very good???

It certainly helps to see things in person first. Other than a few CL listings locally, i just don't have choices. So, I have to take my chances online.

I buy used, I buy new, I buy junk, I buy amazingly great stuff. I'm ALWAYS looking for a deal. In the past, in my area, few choices--drums were NEVER cheap.

I end up with problems on occasion. I recently purchased a vintage 60s Slingerland hi hat stand. Here, take a look. . .

What, Don't you see in the pics? Everything is close up, one pic of the entire stand--also at a weird angle This stand leans to the left at about 15-20 degrees. It won't be too difficult to level out. I have some ideas. But listed as very good???

It certainly helps to see things in person first. Other than a few CL listings locally, i just don't have choices. So, I have to take my chances online.
Reverb, 'nuff said. There's someone on there trying to sell an XPK snare with all the wrong lugs on it for $249, that's only $70 less than I paid for an entire XPK kit.
I follow the listing and I hope it sells, mine has the correct lugs and is in better shape so I could get like $400 for it lol.

Reverb, 'nuff said. There's someone on there trying to sell an XPK snare with all the wrong lugs on it for $249, that's only $70 less than I paid for an entire XPK kit.
I follow the listing and I hope it sells, mine has the correct lugs and is in better shape so I could get like $400 for it lol.

I definitely see wretched high prices sometimes on Reverb. But, I had yet to purchase anything that came to me different than what was described. I bought it knowing I couldn't return it. It's as much on me, I guess.

It's a Yamaha Stage Custom. The guy selling it said that his mother had bought it for his brother but his brother never used it. The condition of the boxes was pristine. I'm guessing they sat in the house, probably the living area of the house, for all these years. I didn't want to pry as to why the brother didn't use them, concerned that maybe something happened to him.
Got it, sounds like you got a great deal on some awesome drums!

I'm already old why would I want old stuff (I already have a bunch of old stuff)-give me new stuff. It's make the most logical sense-even if you are younger and newer-of course give me new. But I do go to thrift stores and buy used never washed old socks because it deters insects, people or anything from entering my abode without going into respiratory arrest. I'm a loner-I'd be called Stinky but apparently someone else holds the title LOL. Just kidding. I generally have been given new as gifts and have bought more new than old I'd have to say reflecting back.
I've got a bunch of hole-y underwear I was going to throw away but I'll sell them to the highest bidder on here? I have a bunch of hole-y socks too-but I'd have to go through them all to find the bad ones. All my t-shirts have holes. Have you seen my Fired Up t-shirt? Looks like it's been through hell fire-I need a new one. I bet the majority of my clothes have a hole somewhere. I swear my skin must be like shark skin and sweat like molecular acid because everything dissolves around me. Damn maybe I'm the alien and I don't even know it. Give me a white shirt and one day and no matter if I ever leave the house and move from one spot-somehow I'll find grease or some stain that won't come out. My wife bought me some nice Eddie Bauer flannel type shirts for winter-I just noted both already have a hole in each. WTH???? You know my shoes disintegrate too-maybe that's why I go barefoot more often than not? I remember standing near a fire at a hunting club and my warming my bottom and talking to others then suddenly my pants just crumbled and disintegrated-like paper just fell apart. Everyone broke out in hysterical laughter and I was the butt of jokes for the whole trip. The heat, the cloth, my sweat and some chemical reaction must have taken place and my pants turned to paper and just crumbled? One of the freakiest things I've seen.

Last edited:
Got it, sounds like you got a great deal on some awesome drums!

Not sure it was a great deal but definitely a fair deal. I paid $400 for a 5 piece shell pack. Color is Sapphire Blue lacquer. 22"BD, 12" and 13" mounted toms and 16" floor tom and 5.5"x14" snare.

Not sure it was a great deal but definitely a fair deal. I paid $400 for a 5 piece shell pack. Color is Sapphire Blue lacquer. 22"BD, 12" and 13" mounted toms and 16" floor tom and 5.5"x14" snare.
Man that is an awesome deal for a 20 year old NOS shell pack! Do you still feel like you won the lottery?

I have a couple of vintage kits and that's one of the things I love about them. I often wonder about who played them before me and what kinds of musical situations have they've lived through. Nothing against new drums but to me, there is something magical about older drums.

I have a couple of vintage kits and that's one of the things I love about them. I often wonder about who played them before me and what kinds of musical situations have they've lived through. Nothing against new drums but to me, there is something magical about older drums.
Exactly my enigma with vintage as well. Besides my Ludwigs that I went to St. Louis to pick up, I just displaced them to a different region here in Colorado.

I wonder what my Rogers Eagle Badge Mardi Gras kit has seen, and played out being from the East Coast. Seller’s living in Colorado Springs via Jersey, man o’ man was Jersey alive in those times!

My floor tom reso Ambassador head that I am now holding on to, (as I wasn’t hip until an unfortunate thread popped up in forum) has a stamp from Creative Music Whethersfield, Conn, many of you are hip to the founder of that place. The ancient and residual sound and oceanic humidity smell trapped in this thing gave me chills when I first opened the lids so to speak.

That’s a very special feeling indeed thanks for highlighting that aspect!

Last edited:
Actually, I do. :cool:
I feel like the brother of the lottery winner... pleased for you and enjoying your excitement. Like a 10 year old getting a new bike

I feel like the brother of the lottery winner... pleased for you and enjoying your excitement. Like a 10 year old getting a new bike

Exactly like that. And I even got to be the first one to open the boxes and plastic wrapping from the drums and hardware. Like a 10 year old getting a new drumset at Christmas (or Chanukah for my tribe members).

In my opinion, buying used is a no brainer.

Does this imply that people who buy used drums...have no brains?

I don't really mean that, I'm just bringing it up for the humor factor.

I might use that in an angry tone with someone sometime, because once in a while, it can be fun to see someone squirm. You know, just for fun.

Like Art on the electric fence.

I'd bet up to 5 dollars that his brothers were howling with laughter, and were genuinely having fun.

Exactly like that. And I even got to be the first one to open the boxes and plastic wrapping from the drums and hardware. Like a 10 year old getting a new drumset at Christmas (or Chanukah for my tribe members).
?? Ah, the sweet smell of new drums fresh out of the box! What could be better?

And a little update. I found a guy selling a 4 piece Stage Custom with fusion sizes. So two of the drums, 10" and 14" toms, were what I was looking for. I convinced him to break up the kit and sell me just the two toms along with a tom arm and a stand for the 14". I don't need a second bass drum or a second 12" tom. Now i'll have my 7 piece with all matching drums. 10", 12", 13", 14" and 16" toms. I'm thrilled. I'm excited to get the two toms, take down my Slingerlands and set up the Yamahas and play them for a while. I'll use this kit in different iterations as my gigging kit. I still love my Slingerlands but now I have something I can lug around and not worry. Happy Chanukah!!!

Last edited:
I just bought a pre-owned kit a couple weeks ago. Actually a shell pack. And it's old. Circa 2000. But here's the thing. It was in original packaging and unopened. So, never been used or hit with a stick. That was a big advantage in my eyes. And I only had to drive 30 minutes to get it and another 30 minutes to get home. I felt like I won the lottery.
Got any piccies?

Back