Does buying pre owned bother you?

I played used gear for many years, 3 of my snare drums are used. My current kits are brand new and despite owning a couple of used cymbals I prefer to buy them new nowadays (whilst I’m fortunate enough to be able to do that; if circumstances change I’d buy used no problem). I still keep an eye on eBay for a great bargain and I’m always on the lookout for a suitable project kit (preferably a Prem)... (y) :)

My hardware purchases, thrones, pedals too are always new. There is nothing wrong with buying used however good luck finding certain kits that are no longer available. If you fell in love with a Waterfall Bubinga DW kit and they stopped making that finish new then you lose ( dont know if thats true, just thought of that). My 2002s are all used and mint condition. The guy switched from acoustic to electronic after moving to an apartment. he was a non-gigging drummer so the stuff wasnt even played that much. I saved hundreds. My 15in sound edge hats were 150. why turn that don and go buy them new?? We all like new, but the market for used is much larger, and there is no 6 month wait for a shell pack!

I recently picked up 2 Zildjians, a 50s and a 60s, for less that I could have paid for one... I got two newer Yamaha snare drums for the price of one, more or less. I'll buy used all day, if it's something I want to try out. No shame in my game... at least, with drums and cymbals. :D

My hardware purchases, thrones, pedals too are always new. There is nothing wrong with buying used however good luck finding certain kits that are no longer available. If you fell in love with a Waterfall Bubinga DW kit and they stopped making that finish new then you lose ( dont know if thats true, just thought of that). My 2002s are all used and mint condition. The guy switched from acoustic to electronic after moving to an apartment. he was a non-gigging drummer so the stuff wasnt even played that much. I saved hundreds. My 15in sound edge hats were 150. why turn that don and go buy them new?? We all like new, but the market for used is much larger, and there is no 6 month wait for a shell pack!

The only things I buy new are heads, sticks and occasionally a specific piece of hardware. Everything else I buy is used. To me, buying a new cymbal or drum kit is like buying a new car, just a waste of money. You buy it and immediately it’s worth less than you paid. Buy used and when you’re done you can sell it for what you paid.

I buy new gear as much as used gear. Sometimes new gear comes out which is high on the I need that, I want that list and definitely not available second hand for the next years to come. Most of my cymbals are used.
Drumsticks definitely new ?

I have bought both new and used drums and cymbals. Once I played anything, it became used anyway. Peace and goodwill.

I'll be nakedly candid here with the hope of not sounding like a snob: I always buy brand-new gear. Though a preowned drum or cymbal may appear intact in photos, I have no idea how it's been treated behind the scenes. Poor technique, careless transport, and haphazard storage can wreak havoc on shells and bronze. When I buy new, such worries are abolished, and if something is defective or declines prematurely, it's backed by warranty and can be replaced with relative ease. For me, the assurance that goes along with factory-fresh equipment is worth the added cost.

I look down on no one who prefers used gear, however. There are great deals to be found for sure. Our constitutions dictate our habits, and I'm risk averse when it comes to purchases. There's nothing more behind my views on the subject.

for drums, I am in the same camp...it is an instrument that by its nature, gets abused...I would rather know that all of that abuse was my doing. And honestly, I think a lot of that abuse is "non-playing" abuse...drums tend to get treated like furniture a lot of the time

however, I own 5 bass guitars, and only one was purchased new by me...the rest are used. My whole amp rig is used as well

My Radio King would be hard to ge if I only bought new. ?

I want what I want. If there's a good deal and it looks nice I'll probably go for it, but a lt of my stuff isn't available used.

I only bought my kit new cause I just couldnt find what I wanted used....but if a used one was down the street for sale I would have got it....And has been already said, once u walk out the door with new...its worth half what u paid for it.

Really depends

I have no idea what the kit had to go through with the previous owner, maybe they were heavy smokers, maybe they did strange stuff with it (step brothers "don't touch my drum kit" scene anyone?) So in that regard I'm not a fan at all.

I never buy used gear online since I don't know the guy selling the thing and they could mail me an anthrax letter instead of an acrolite (maybe a bit exaggerated but I digress)

But if we're talking vintage drums then I don't really have a choice do I? Unless I get a time machine or visit one of those drum collector shops where you can buy a brand new round badge for 10 thousand dollars, I have to get used. Not gonna complain.

If my drummer friend offered me a deal on some of his used stuff I would take it since I know the guy and I can expect what I can get. Same deal with store ex-demos and in store used gear.

Overall I try to get new stuff when I can, but in some circumstances I don't mind used.

Never been fussed with used drums as long as they're in good condition or priced accordingly if I have to do a bit of work on them. The only thing I'm funny with is cymbals (apart from rides), there's some real shed builders posing as drummers.

Ride cymbals on the other hand, I've only ever bought 2 rides brand new ever and still own one. The other was a ZBT on my first beginner kit which I hope has been melted down into something more musical. I quite like buying a great ride cymbal where someone has done the playing in for me.

If you prefer something that's discontinued then you're stuck with the used market. My favourite bass pedal is a DW5000NX, I'm lucky enough to have 2 but they're hard to find.

For gigging you can beat the convenience and reliability of new kits. They don't need much maintenance to stay in tip top shape.

Always used. Drums depreciate faster than a new car driven off the lot. There are so many deals to be had out on the interwebs and a lot of people buy drums, then decide they don't want to play.
I also happen to be quite handy, so most problems found used I can fix.
I'll never buy new drums again.

I am not a fan of second hand because I like to scratch things myself right from the beginning, it's mostly insanity.

I found my 17" Turkish crash second hand and I know it would be difficult to match it with something new today.. so second hand is good for me too.. One day I want to have an old K ride or other older cymbals.

Plus the look of an old cymbal with the Patina.. is nice and not coming with a new one.

if I am specifically buying vintage, then I will by "used", but that is a different situation...that is specific shopping, and I expect there to be wear

I just bought a pre-owned kit a couple weeks ago. Actually a shell pack. And it's old. Circa 2000. But here's the thing. It was in original packaging and unopened. So, never been used or hit with a stick. That was a big advantage in my eyes. And I only had to drive 30 minutes to get it and another 30 minutes to get home. I felt like I won the lottery.
So you found a 21 year old NOS kit...is it branded? Sitting in someone's basement unused all these years??

Back