Does buying pre owned bother you?

Superman

Gold Member
I have pre owned gear and it never bothered me. But another drummer I know told me he'd never buy something used and he wants to be the only person to even hit a drum of cymbal. I thought this was ridiculous but he told me people damage stuff and trade it in so suckers like me buy it. I have bought a couple cymbals that were clunkers, but otherwise I have had good luck. I've gotten some good deals on gear I might not have been able to afford new. What say you?

I buy used and new. Depends on what I want, what's available, and deals I may find.

I bought a kit at a garage sale. I paid $125. It had a vintage Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit, Roger's Dyna-sonic snare, vintage cymbals including a Turkish K, cases, and hardware. Cant buy that new.

I'll be nakedly candid here with the hope of not sounding like a snob: I always buy brand-new gear. Though a preowned drum or cymbal may appear intact in photos, I have no idea how it's been treated behind the scenes. Poor technique, careless transport, and haphazard storage can wreak havoc on shells and bronze. When I buy new, such worries are abolished, and if something is defective or declines prematurely, it's backed by warranty and can be replaced with relative ease. For me, the assurance that goes along with factory-fresh equipment is worth the added cost.

I look down on no one who prefers used gear, however. There are great deals to be found for sure. Our constitutions dictate our habits, and I'm risk averse when it comes to purchases. There's nothing more behind my views on the subject.

Last edited:
I buy used and new. Depends on what I want, what's available, and deals I may find.

I bought a kit at a garage sale. I paid $125. It had a vintage Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit, Roger's Dyna-sonic snare, vintage cymbals including a Turkish K, cases, and hardware. Cant buy that new.

Vintage cymbals might lead me to make an exception. If I came across a set of preserved Zildjians from 1958 or something of that nature, they'd be pretty hard to pass up.

I would never buy used in-ear hearing protection. And I buy new things that I need but I've bought used sticks, brushes, heads, books, bags, microphones, hardware, drum and cymbals - most of it for less than half of the new price. Only once or twice did I have to deal with something that wasn't completely alright but I've saved enough money by buying used that it doesn't bother me at all. I also like restoring drums and enjoy making them useable again - there's an environmental aspect to it as well when you use stuff that would just sit in someone's basement (or even go to the landfill).

I buy used, new, and vintage.

Do your research, case by case, ask the questions that you need cleared up, and make sure to trust your own judgment in mind with their volley.

Understand vintage and used have degrees of condition that are listed, or you can gauge better if you are in person to check out.

My rule for buying used gear is to not buy anything for more than I could turn around and sell it for. The exception to the rule is if there's something that's really unique or rare that I really want to check out. I have bought plenty of duds--not anything that turned out to be damaged, but stuff that I thought I might like, but it turned out I didn't. I have sold all of that stuff off, and made a tidy profit off of most of it.

I used to buy kits/cymbals for students all the time. I can say that I've never been burned on a purchase, but I always thoroughly check stuff out before paying for it.

I have purchased mostly new over the years because I tend to buy gear to use for the long term. Having a warranty and a dealer to fall back on is a big plus.
Occasionally when I do purchase used both photos and a stellar reputation of the seller comes into play, especially reviews on their shipping and packaging. My number one fear of buying used is receiving stolen property. If I get even a hint that something is amiss, I move on.

Quite a lot of the gear I own is pre owned.

I actually like that my gear has been elsewhere and has been used. I like it has a history and is worn in. For brand new stuff, i.e. drums/cymbals/hardware..etc we hit them so any 'new' condition quickly goes out the window anyway.

Plus, I'm never concerned about buying something that's not pristine condition. I'm still somewhat careful about what I buy and who I buy from when it comes to used gear though.

For me, its all about the sound so stuff being used before it reaches me doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
My drum kit is used but I knew the guy, well, go buy a Tama 1973 Royal Star with Imperial lugs new!!! Zildjian, all used, same here 1979's made in Canada, in what is Sabian factory now. Snare, one used, 2 new. Lot of used cymbals but from my usual store, and new too but a lot on sales...And if used for cymbals, it's always from the same guy I bought the drums from because I trust him, he always rotate a collection of 300/350 cymbals and I've never been surprised... Plus I pay them when I can...

Back