Does buying pre owned bother you?

MntnMan62

I just bought a pre-owned kit a couple weeks ago. Actually a shell pack. And it's old. Circa 2000. But here's the thing. It was in original packaging and unopened. So, never been used or hit with a stick. That was a big advantage in my eyes. And I only had to drive 30 minutes to get it and another 30 minutes to get home. I felt like I won the lottery.

Last edited:

wraub

I've been flipping used basses and guitars for years, it's a good way to learn about different gear and decide what works for me and what doesn't, relatively cheaply. I've wound up with some good stuff for prices I can both afford and justify.
If it weren't for used gear, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy drums or cymbals, at least not of the quality I have acquired for the prices I have paid.

TK-421

For drums, I always try to find a good deal on used gear in like-new or nearly new/very good condition. I bought both of my Gretsch kits and both of my Brooklyn snares that way. Cymbals I almost always buy new, because then I can easily return it if it doesn't mesh with my other cymbals, or if it just doesn't sound good in my studio. In fact, just last summer I had to return a new set of Kerope hi hats because as great as they sounded in the store, for some reason they just didn't sound that great in my studio. That said, I recently bought a like-new 19" K Sweet Crash off eBay, and I absolutely love it! I also bought some used K Light hi hats via Craigslist when I was visiting San Francisco a few months ago, but I was able to try them out before buying. They're also working out great for me.

Heads and sticks I only buy new. In fact, I find it a little odd that anyone would buy used heads or sticks. As far as hardware, it's a mix of new and used. If I can find what I want used and it's in good condition, I don't have a problem buying it. If not, then new of course.

Pretty much anything else I can think of from mic's to mixers to cords, cables and IEMs, always new.

Last edited:

Superman

Gold Member
Thanks to all that answered. I pulled the trigger on the used snare I was looking at. Just ordered a DW Collectors snare 6x14 in "Excellent condition". I figured this is something I'm about to beat with a stick anyway. Got a really good deal on it and I'm happy. Plus the $240 I saved will allow me to just buy something else...haha.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I buy new and used. I don’t have any problems with used drum gear because I’ll know if it has problems and whether or not I want to take the time to fix it. Electronics gear is different because it’s electronic - there’s no way of knowing how abused it is. So if it’s important, I either know what I’m looking at and can deal with it, or I’m buying it new.

Heads and sticks I only buy new. In fact, I find it a little odd that anyone would buy used heads or sticks.
Ha, I assumed that this would irritate the OP's friend and so I mentioned it.. :) I also bought more heads and sticks new, but used can be a decent alternative.
I've restored a few sets that needed new heads all around and found some really good deals - some people just try a set of heads and then decide against them. In the end, I've bought a lot of matching Ambassadors or G1s that looked untouched or just had a few stick marks - they would look the same after a few hours on my set but they only cost about $3 per head.
The same can happen with sticks and brushes - if I buy them from a store, people might have tried them as well on the store's pad. Most used sticks I got just came as a part of another purchase like a snare or a bunch of books, though.

Chris Whitten

The only thing I've read - is that when you first install a new head it seats to the exact shape of the drum. If you remove it and reinstall it, it never sounds as good unless you position it exactly at the same point on the rim. So if you have to remove a head, mark it's position first.
I personally would never use a used head, even lightly used, for that reason.

jimb

I buy used all the time and most of it is pretty unsatisfactory, always some prob or another, but I cant help it. Did get a set of New Beats last year which were superb but its rare...seems cymbals Ive bought are sold on by all who buy them cause there not good.....and good cymbals are simply held onto.

Chris Whitten

One man's trash is another man's treasure as the saying goes (substitute - woman, person).
Probably most of my best gear is second hand, often 'player' rather than pristine.
My Old K's, my Sound Creation's, my Oaklawn Camco, my Pork Pie kit, my Ludwig Supraphonic and Black Beauty, Neumann and Sennheiser mics, my Telefunken and Quad Eight channel strips, my Spectrosonics and Helios compressors.

The only thing I've read - is that when you first install a new head it seats to the exact shape of the drum. If you remove it and reinstall it, it never sounds as good unless you position it exactly at the same point on the rim. So if you have to remove a head, mark it's position first.
I personally would never use a used head, even lightly used, for that reason.
I've heard that, too. But I really can't tell how much of an impact it has - to my ears, they sound good and aren't any harder to tune. This might be a good topic for a separate thread. Maybe if they have been used on oversized drums and are stretchted?
I've bought used heads for a friend on a budget, for a set in a shared rehearsal place or for sets I was restoring for fun and which I inteded to sell further down the line. So it was pretty cool to get a set of heads for about $50 - I wouldn't have bought them for 250.

Old PIT Guy

Nearly everything I purchase that isn't food or gas is preowned. I even play sticks someone on ebay didn't like. Shoes can be dicey, especially on ebay because there's often something wrong with them even if they were worn "once or twice" which as we know all secondhand shoes are. Even the leather variety with big creases, or the hiking boots with a rear tread lug worn smooth. Because, really, people are on the whole peachy great!

Yeah, it would be fine for fun playing, rehearsals etc, but I wouldn't gig or record on used heads (from someone else's drum).
Fair enough. :) I see that you're a professional and are therefore more demanding to get the best possible sound and performance - personally I don't care as much and I'll use heads for a fair bit of time before replacing them.
Nearly everything I purchase that isn't food or gas is preowned.
You could argue that even the gas is preowned as it used to be a plankton's biomass.. ?

cbphoto

Gold Member
Yes, I buy & sell used gear (cymbals & snares & lenses & cameras & lights & power supplies. No bass drums or c-stands.). My biggest concern are sellers who don’t pack the item well for shipping. So many people are lazy in this area. It takes effort to properly pack a $1000 snare drum so that the buyer will not have any concerns about it upon arrival.

I bought a used Tama KA145N ($800 new) from a guy in Los Angeles for $220 via Reverb.com. He informed me that it’d been in a studio for the last 10+ years and had been on a snare stand that had tipped over. “But the hardware is good”. When I got it, the out-of-round was not visible, but when the shell circumference was traced onto paper it was easier to see, and much easier to fix. I’m no drumsmith but I did my own auto body work and painting for about 25 vehicles back in the day, so taking some tools to the shell wasn’t daunting.

My point: knowing what your getting and how it’s packed is important for a good transaction.

dwsabianguy

Yeah I buy head and sticks and hardware new, but almost all of my gear has come to me pre-owned. Because honestly a lot of the gear I want isn't being made anymore, and if it is, it's significantly more expensive than what I've paid for my used gear.

None of the kits I own were purchased new. Wouldn't have been possible; even the newest, the Birch Absolutes, were five years out of production when I got them. The rest are from the 60s-80s. I got some spectacular deals, and they're spectacular kits.

All my snares are used with *three exceptions, the George Way walnut, the Black Beauty, and Copperphonic.

And only a couple cymbals I own came to me brand new: the 16" Sand Hats, 22" Dark Energy Ride, 18" HHX Complex Crash, and the gong.

All my guitars but one (a Music Man Albert Lee model) were purchased used, and they're all top-notch. My Greco Les Paul copy is the best Les Paul I think I've ever played sub-$4k. All the amps and cabs were used except the plexi head I built a couple months ago.

And most of my recording gear too. I'm handy, and don't mind working on electronics. If you're willing to work on a piece of gear for a couple hours you can get some steals. In fact, I recently got a 20-channel recording console for free because it needs a power cable, a fader, and to be reassembled.

Last edited: