Does anyone mix and match hi-hat cymbals?

Lunar Satellite Brian

Something I never really thought about until today, so does anyone use a bottom hi-hat of a different series than the top hi-hat?

Has anyone found some interesting combinations? or do you think it's silly?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Something I never really thought about until today, so does anyone use a bottom hi-hat of a different series than the top hi-hat?

Has anyone found some interesting combinations? or do you think it's silly?
Well, i use the original mix-n-match set: 13" K/Zs. But I have done other such things, such as a Zildjian 14" Z-MAC top with a Sabian Regular Hats bottom; a Camber top and a Pearl bottom (in a desperate situation); and a Sabian 16" extra-thin crash and a Zildjian A Custom projection crash.

And one time, a 6" Sabian AAX splash over a 6" Zildjian splash.

A time-honored technique to tailor your sound.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My main 14" are a Zildjian quick beat bottom with a Zildjian master sound top.

Mix and matching hi-hats is a pretty common concept.

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
As much as I love my New Beats, sometimes for certain things, I use a Sabian Fusion bottom hat with the NB top. Works perfectly because the Fusion set has an AA medium top just like a NB. The Fusion bottom is thick, unlathed and hammered kind of like my K Custom Dry ride, so there is a tonal connection and gives me a louder "chick" sound and slightly more "beat" volume while not ringing out as long the NB bottom.

themazk

Hell yes I do! I love to throw my NS12 alloy top hat on a bronze bottom very very sweet! One of my favs is my AAX top hat over my Meinl HCS 14" china, I rehammered the china to my specs, hi volume, loud chic, just enough wash/white noise, and played open damn near perfect. crazy right?

Kudzu Monroe

Oh yeah love the mix n match ...

Paiste 12" Alpha splash over a Paiste 12" Alpha power splash (bright and chirpy)

Paiste 14" Twenty top over a Paiste Alpha medium bottom. ( a Paiste version of the Zildjian KZ)

Paiste 14" 404 medium bottom over a Paiste 404 heavy bottom. ( a vintage New Beat kinda vibe)

Zildjian 14" 70s thin crash over a Zildjian 70s New Beat top ( jazzy pre-New Beat 50s vibe)

Zildjian 16" A custom projection crash over a vintage 16" Zildjian mini cup ride cymbal ( So bright loud, fat and articulate you forget they are 16s)

themazk

16" hats all the way man! I have a pair of those I made from an old 16" 502 power crash
that I re-hammered...a lot,lol. And a my re -hammered 16" Sabian PRO series studio crash;loud but super warm and fast! With chic that won't be denied. Both of these were cracked when I got them so I had to weld them first then hammer until happy...

Muckster

Platinum Member
I have a pair of original marketed 14" K/Z hi hats that i love. I wanted to get a 13" pair but found them to be too bright for my ear. I switched out the 13" K top for a 13" K Custom Dark Top with the 13" Z Custom Bottom and walla! My new favorite pair of hi hats.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I use a pair of vintage Zilco marching cymbals on the bottoms of two of my sets, one has a mid 80s new beat on top and one has a Istanbul mehmet crash on top, love both sets

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Yes!

I have a pair of 13 K/Z and also 13 Quick Beats, and I have mixed them in various combinations.

My current favourite is the 13 K top over the QB bottom.
Lovely warm but tight sizzle with tight chick. I'm using this pairing for about a year so far.

Lunar Satellite Brian

Wow, I'm pretty surprised how many people do.

The only thing I've messed around with is a cheap 12" Wuhan china on the bottom with a 12" Wuhan splash on top, really trashy closed and exotic open. Nice foot click too.

I rarely do that though.

ibernalq

Yes!!! its funny and you can get different and awesome sounds...

Look a this and see my sets (all 14):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Zildjian new beat top, a mastersound bottom

Sabian AAX fast top, AA flat bottom

Paiste signature heavy top, heavy reflector bottom

And many times mix:

New beat top + AA flat bottom.. NICE!!! (Zidjian + Sabian) or sometimes Signature refelector ( bottom)

AAX fast top + A mastersound bottom (crispier than New beat on top)

And I have a pair of Sabian XS20 .. use bottom + AAX fast on top

Finally, I have a pair of 10 mini hats:

Murat diril 10 splash on top / an old paiste crash 802 cut to 10 as bottom

Just look for tops, bottoms, try them and get a sound you enjoy..

AVB4Prez

I do this all the time, in the same way I check some rides out as crashes. One of my favorite pairings is a 14" A Custom Projection Top with a Z Custom Mastersound bottom...but with the Z on top.

There are seemingly a lot of good A/Z pairings I've heard of, but this is the only one I personally can vouch for.