Does anyone here wear two different shoes for hi hat and bass drum pedals?

MrPockets

Gold Member
I was thinking about Thomas Pridgen and how he only wears one shoe for the hi hat and plays with a sock on the bass drum (He did at his Modern Drummer performance, not sure is this is still the case). Then I thought about punters and kickers in American Football. Some players where a different model of shoe or one shoe is a different color. Curling is another example of the person having a different shoe for each foot.

Do you put something different on each foot for feel/fashion purposes?

I try to have my feet feel as balanced as possible. My legs already feel drastically different as is.

Last edited:
Dance shoes? .......... Bada boom!

Peart does that.

I was talking about a different shoe per foot when playing btw. So if you had a dance shoe on your left foot and a tennis shoe on your right foot your answer to the question would be yes.

I wouldn't go that far.
My technique most likely will never reach a stage where I would see any notable difference by doing this.
So no.

I do however sometimes play in my winter boots for a while, or switch to socks only.
Most of the time I wear my worn, flat adidas sneakers

I think the answer to this would most likely be "no".

I'm guessing most players don't do anything so drastically hard with their hihat foot that would require special shoes. I don't doubt that there are a few pro players that do however. Most will probably find something specific for the kick foot and work with that.

On a side note - bowling is probably the sport where different shoes are the most common.

I'm guessing most players don't do anything so drastically hard with their hihat foot that would require special shoes. I don't doubt that there are a few pro players that do however. Most will probably find something specific for the kick foot and work with that.

On a side note - bowling is probably the sport where different shoes are the most common.

Is the sole more slippery on the shoe he doesn't plant on?

I would say the best example is curling.

Sometimes I go with a clown shoe on one foot and one of those bear foot slippers on the other foot. It's amazing. I can drum so much better than if I just used normal shoes.

They might go well with boxing gloves.
I also remember reading about a cape of some sorts

I play the bass drum with both feet, so this wouldn't really make sense for me.

Thought it was par for the course.

It's fraught with danger though. It's so easy to forget and wear matching shoes only to get to the gig and realise you can't play thehi hat because you're wearing your bass drum shoes. Or substantially worse......find you have to leave the bass drum patterns out because you've mistakenly donned your hi hat shoes.

Thought it was par for the course.

It's fraught with danger though. It's so easy to forget and wear matching shoes only to get to the gig and realise you can't play thehi hat because you're wearing your bass drum shoes. Or substantially worse......find you have to leave the bass drum patterns out because you've mistakenly donned your hi hat shoes.

I know. I left my snare drum tassel at home once and it was an absolute disaster.

Back