Does anyone here practice double bass, with no musical need for it?

Interesting perspective from the OP since I can't imagine doing double bass "just for fun".

Don't get me wrong, it IS extremely fun but if I was into jazz/ funk and the music didn't call for it the extra hassle would outweigh the need to go there.

I'm pretty busy with one pedal- I like trying to do intricate fast stuff with a single pedal. The other is always keeping time on hats (it stays pretty busy). I think giving me two would be a mistake LOL. I do have a Iron Cobra double pedal-but I play it as a single. I'm no slave to my pedal LOL. But I appreciate the double pedal community and it impresses the hell out of me-there are some cool fills I'd like to learn on double.

I don't have any "need" for it, even though we play and release progrock tunes. I still have three double pedals though and give them 15 minutes a day or so, but not more. I'm happy if I can play various patterns with my feet and keep steady singles in 160 BPM for a minute or so. Shifting and going in and out of between different subdivisions. Far more inclined to practice displacement exercises, jazz/latin independence, linear grooves and polyrhythms.

I did the contrary, the first kit I bought used in the 90's, was a Tama Rockstar with a nice Tama double pedal, a Probeat model. At that time, I was all about double pedal, not for staccatos, but for licks. Listening and playing Metallica, Korn, Sepultura stuffs.
As I listen to a lot of dream theater, double bass is very interesting, people tend to think it's only a speed metal thing with fast and uninteresting blast, but you can do very fun stuff, even in basic tunes.
Growing older, the music I need to play doesn't need double, so my twin pedal is sleeping most of the time, using my single only.
Still, I sometimes work at home with it and it's a joy to incorporate the left foot on basic beats or fills.

Last edited:
That's too bad. Someone needs to play metal on Guru's. That would be spectacular.
Tell you what Dave, I'll allow you, and you only, to play metal on my drums. But you have to make the trip. I'll set up 2 bass drums, each with a single pedal.

I'll even stay in the room despite the aural barrage.

That's the kind of love I have for you man.

Tell you what Dave, I'll allow you, and you only, to play metal on my drums. But you have to make the trip. I'll set up 2 bass drums, each with a single pedal.

I'll even stay in the room despite the aural barrage.

That's the kind of love I have for you man.
If out that way, I'll hold you to it lol.

Can I watch, or would that make you both mildly uncomfortable? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
The best I can offer is a Zoom call. Unless you want to visit, which I would make a real BBQ party out of it that's worth your plane ticket. Anytime you are near PA here, let me know. You have an open invitation. Maybe I'll spring for the plane ride. I'd like to meet you in real life. That would be awesome. Just give me an excuse to have a "Strange" party, featuring Brian and Al Strange on a double bass Guru setup. And anyone else who wants to attend. Even you Ben. I could set up three 5 piece Guru sets outside and have a "round robin" type of exchange. And a "Billie Jean" competition. I'll get a keg of beer, and a keg of root beer. We can have a fire in my firepit, an egg throwing contest, a cheerleaders pyramid. It would be fun for all ages. I tried this before and nobody RSVP's except one guy.

Last edited:
The best I can offer is a Zoom call. Unless you want to visit, which I would make a real BBQ party out of it that's worth your plane ticket. Anytime you are near PA here, let me know. You have an open invitation. Maybe I'll spring for the plane ride. I'd like to meet you in real life. That would be awesome. Just give me an excuse to have a "Strange" party, featuring Brian and Al Strange on a double bass Guru setup. And anyone else who wants to attend. Even you Ben. I could set up three 5 piece Guru sets outside and have a "round robin" type of exchange. And a "Billie Jean" competition. I'll get a keg of beer, and a keg of root beer. We can have a fire in my firepit, an egg throwing contest, a cheerleaders pyramid. It would be fun for all ages. I tried this before and nobody RSVP's except one guy.
You know I’m vegan right Larry?! :unsure: :ROFLMAO:(y)

Not me because I don't like how double bass drum music makes me feel...which is like I'm being assaulted.

It repels me much more than it attracts me.

There, I said it.

Would adding a flaming gong to enhance the double bass playing change your mind?

Last edited:
Dang sounds like a good crew - I’d be in if it was ok with Larry and you guys.

I could schlep a coupla things over - I’d bring the Demon Drive, maybe that will get your bird a flyin’ Larry.

Wait - who’s Brian?

Back