Does anyone here practice double bass, with no musical need for it?

Paul Blood

At this point, I could only envision using double bass on big ending on songs, maybe some fills or drum solos. I’m not sure if I’d want to take more gear out, but sometimes I think it might behove me to do some double bass playing just at home for my own development and enjoyment. I‘ve always gravitated towards straight ahead jazz, Latin, funk, fusion, but I do like rock styles too. I was watching the Tommy Aldridge interview, and was inspired! Then I saw my hero, Steve Gadd, interview with Rick Beato, and apparently he started using a double pedal too. Off course there’s Louie Bellson, and Weckl, Steve Smith, Gregg Bissonette, and Vinnie Calautti and a bunch more.

I guess the only thing stoping me on getting a double pedal is money. I play other instruments too, which is an expense, and when I have some money for drum gear, it usually goes for cymbals, heads, sticks, brushes…

Another thing that holds me back is the noise! I feel thumping away on bass drum would be rather annoying to those around me. For kit practice, I almost always play with brushes to keep the volume down.

But regardless, just wondering if anyone here works on double bass without much need for it in your musical situation.

Last edited:
Double bass is on my list of to do items. That's a long list for me and DB is far from the top of it for now.

I picked up a used Pearl Eliminator Redline DB pedal for about $200. The left pedal is feeling pretty lonely so far though.

Double bass is on my list of to do items. That's a long list for me and DB is far from the top of it for now.

I picked up a used Pearl Eliminator Redline DB pedal for about $200. The left pedal is feeling pretty lonely so far though.
Sounds like you got a deal on your DB pedal! Was it used?

Sounds like you got a deal on your DB pedal! Was it used?
Yeah it was used. I bought it at a local drum store. I go there once a week for lessons and it seems like they (the Pearls) come in spurts. He usually has a good selection of used pedals, but there aren't any Pearls... then all of a sudden there are three or four. I don't think he has any on the floor right now.

I started double-bass about 7 years ago in lessons I was getting mainly for independence exercises. I found quickly that it really helped further develop my left foot HH playing. For a few years now I've been working on my entire left side trying to "awaken" it a bit more and the double pedals has helped a lot. I've never played metal, nor did I have any interest in continued 16th note double bass playing in songs - just not my thing or type of music. However, through the lessons I've been encouraged to bring and use my double pedals as a regular part of my kit. I've found places to sneak it in and do a few things here & there while gigging much in the manner of Gadd, Steve Smith, etc. It takes a while to integrate for sure, but it's just another tool & sound path that I'd like to have in the arsenal.

Oh, and used is the way to go (for me anyway). I play DW 5000 pedals exclusively and have two sets of double 5000's. Watching Cragislist adds, paid $150-ish for one set about 5 years ago and $300 for another set (barely used) about 18 months ago. It would be hard for me to pony up $500+ on a brand new set, let alone the price of the 9000's.

Last edited:
I'm in my mid 60s and have never played double bass. It's something I've wanted to try for sometime but the expense of a double pedal has kept me from following through. I really can't see incorporating it into the types of music I enjoy playing, but I still think it would be fun to work on, especially after watching videos of Gregg Bissonette and others who tastefully work double bass into their fills.

This is an interesting thread. Some of you may know that I like to play double bass as I’m predominantly a hard rock drummer. However I also like to practice stuff I’ve never used and would possibly never use in a hard rock context. As a drummer I want to be skilled across the piece, not limited to the confines of one style of playing. Having the facility to do more can inspire left of field creativity and result in more choices and colour in your playing IMHO…double bass is just awesome fun if nothing else guys, highly recommend it! :D (y)

I have recently been building practice "pad" bass drum simulator attachments that connect to my 2 single ancient Yamaha BD pedals.
Purpose: To exercise my muscles, get better at double bass and independence.......... quietly....hopefully....... and have some fun.
Working on that part. And to trigger sounds at some point.
Using pedals I already have. They needed rehabbing and modifications. That part was fun and challenging.
I have dreams of playing double bass like I have heard in records.
I am no good at it now.

When/If you go to use it, pickup trick Drive Shaft for it. It really helps the left pedal feels as smooth as the right pedal. On pearl's Demon Drive they basically use a trick Style Drive Shaft but Eliminator Redline still has the older shaft

Absolutely. I've been running both feet for about 30 years. I stopped gigging in 2002. Once that happened, my need for it ceased. That being said, I still work on my feet because it would be a tragedy to not be able to do it anymore.

I'll never give it up. It's one of the things that make me who I am when drumming.

I work on it all the time but never use it with my bands. I don't even bring a Dbl. pedal to gigs, classic rock and country music don't usually call for Dbl kick. I've been using it since the mid 80s you'd think I'd be great by now lol. I enjoy trying to play metal like (August Burns Red) and am always working on those types of drumming but the sad truth is that I'm not very good at it. I still work at it though.

Last edited:
I work on it all the time but never use it with my bands. I don't even bring a Dbl. pedal to gigs, classic rock and country music don't usually call for Dbl kick. I've been using it since the mid 80s you'd think I'd be great by now lol. I enjoy trying to play metal like (August Burns Red) and am always working on those types of drumming but the sad truth is that I'm not very good at it. I still work at it though.
My episodes of experimentation don’t seem to last long. When the status quo is guys like Thomas Haak (among others) I’d feel silly showing up anywhere with a double pedal or a second bass drum. And as one poster said, you’ll probably use double bass more for the roll at the end - I’ve learned how to that roll between my floor tom hand and bass drum foot, and no one knows it’s not two bass drums 😉

I mentioned in a previous post that the cost of a good double pedal has deterred me from experimenting with one. If I were to bite the bullet and get a decent double pedal, if desired, can I simply detach the one pedal and use the main pedal as a single pedal?

My episodes of experimentation don’t seem to last long. When the status quo is guys like Thomas Haak (among others) I’d feel silly showing up anywhere with a double pedal or a second bass drum. And as one poster said, you’ll probably use double bass more for the roll at the end - I’ve learned how to that roll between my floor tom hand and bass drum foot, and no one knows it’s not two bass drums 😉
Yeah I'm not gonna bring a double pedal just roll at the end of some songs. That just seems silly

I mentioned in a previous post that the cost of a good double pedal has deterred me from experimenting with one. If I were to bite the bullet and get a decent double pedal, if desired, can I simply detach the one pedal and use the main pedal as a single pedal?
Oh yes absolutely You can just take the primary pedal and leave the other 1/2 at home

Sometimes the cost of an additional bass drum and two fairly good single pedals is cheaper than a good double pedal! If you play Yamaha Stage Customs, add-on bass drums can be had for $300-400, and the Yamaha chain drive FP7210 single pedals can be found for $60 each!

I've been playing two bass drums or double pedal for 40 years now and I'm 55. Switched to double pedal in 1995. Still playing the same DW 5000 I bought new in '95. I really enjoy using it musically. Gonna head back to using two kicks soon. Not a musical fit for every genre obviously.
I used a double bass kit with 24" kicks and a 22" floor tom once when I played in a blues power trio. No chugga chugga and I left my Billy Cobham licks at home. Plus I was the lead singer/drummer. Didn't want to step on the lyrics or grooves. Did kick both bass drums at the same time during grooves. It was fun. Felt like one big ass bass drum. Went back to my smaller single bass kit the next night. Should have seen the looks on people's faces when I set up two bass drums. 😳 So the answer to your question is yes.

Attachments

• PXL_20221213_003821319.jpg
    PXL_20221213_003821319.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 6
Back