Does adding this Tom make sense?

fess

I currently have a DW performance kit 1 up & 1 down. I’d Like to add another high Tom. I have a 12x8 and a16x16 now. Normally I would add a10” to the kit, but that is no longer possible as the color is discontinued. There is a 13x9 available though.
Do you think the combo of 12x8, 13x9 and 16x16 works or will I not get enough spread between the high toms. The 12 currently tunes surprisingly low.
Thanks

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Does it make sense? No. There are way more sensible things to do with your money. Like Life Insurance lol. Forget sense, go with your heart.

Last year I bought my first 13" tom. Wow do I love it. It does what a low 12 does only much, much better. Way more satisfying. The issue of not enough spread....in my mind is no issue at all. Now. I mistakenly thought there wouldn't be enough spread for too for many years. I was very wrong. There's is more spread than I need. It's all in the tuning. Didn't Rogers have sets with 2 - 12" toms? You just tune them how you like for the spread. I tune my 12" up high like the Motown rack tom, and the 13 is just lovely. It's like free-falling 500 feet into a 1/2 mile high pile of velvet. Black velvet. Exactly like that lol.

I would suggest the 13. I was a big lover of the 10/12/16 tom setup. Now I'm all about the 12/13/16...in a big way. The 10" is just too small for live unmiced IMO. It dies out too quick. Still love the tone, but it's note doesn't last long like the other drums. It doesn't fit as good as the 12/13 racks. The vintage sizes...I realize now that they knew what they were doing.

D

drumming sort of person

Do you think the combo of 12x8, 13x9 and 16x16 works or will I not get enough spread between the high toms.
Yes, 12 and 13 will be fine and you can easily get a nice perfect fourth between them if you want.

hippy chip

Silver Member
12, 13, 16 is the old standard. I'm not sure when the fusion sizes came out, or why. I personally can't stand the sound of those little toy 10" toms.

DaleClark

I currently have a DW performance kit 1 up & 1 down. I’d Like to add another high Tom. I have a 12x8 and a16x16 now. Normally I would add a10” to the kit, but that is no longer possible as the color is discontinued. There is a 13x9 available though.
Do you think the combo of 12x8, 13x9 and 16x16 works or will I not get enough spread between the high toms. The 12 currently tunes surprisingly low.
Thanks
What finish do you have?

Blisco

Might make a cool first "floor" tom too. Or left side floor.

I recently added a 13 to my kit. I don't use it with the 10/12 but it's fun to go one up/one down from time to time.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Definitely buy the 13 and use it, then store or sell the 12, so back to 1 up & 1 down. The 13 and 16 combo is classic. Just think of a 13 as a 12 souped on steroids, and it can even pass for 10 in when tuned up nicely (has a great range).

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
After years of using the "new standard" 10-12-16 I returned to using 12-13-16 and I couldn't be happier with the sound.

D

drumming sort of person

I don't know how true this is but I read somewhere that it's mostly attributed to people copying Steve Gadd's setup.
Correct. Gadd started the 10" (with a 12") tom craze, right after his DCI video was released. Then Weckl started the 8" and 10" tom craze when HIS DCI video was released.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Is this even a question? 12/13/16 was THE standard until Gadd messed it all up. Get the 13 unless you don’t want to spend the money.

Angus Macinnes

I have always had a 13 in tom. Kit #1 has 12, 13, 16, 18 with 22 bd. Kit 2 has 13, 14, 16, 18 with 24 bd. I just never saw any reason for 8 or 10 toms. More like bongos to me. LMFAO! So to answer the question, yes it makes sense.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Never go 13.

Never ever.

13's are the drum equivalent of 5-cylinder cars : historically irrelevant.

Go with Gadd !

The "good old standard 22-12-13-16" proponents either wear protective undergarments in the sunshine state or are driving their RV southbound as we speak.

Cool kids spawn in the even numbers department.

I am foraging for my toughest umbrella to resist the shitstorm coming my way.

The struggle is real young forum members.

;-)
I can't tell if you are being humorous or if you really mean it. If you do mean it, I'd love to hear why.

Historically irrelevant. I'm cautiously taking that as humorous.

Groov-E

Silver Member
I can't tell if you are being humorous or if you really mean it. If you do mean it, I'd love to hear why.

Historically irrelevant. I'm cautiously taking that as humorous.
Yeah I was trying to be funny as I am of the 22-13-16 generation myself...Post deleted.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I like 13 and 16, too. On some gigs you might want to take just one rack tom and, for me, the 13 is a better sounding rack than a 12 if I just have one rack. So get the 13 it will give you more options.

The 10 no way. Maybe if you're playing a lot of Latin or Santana, but if choice between 13 and 10 for rock. jazz, or blues get the 13.