Doc Sweeney drums

fess

Anyone have any experience with Doc Sweeney Drums? Custom shop in California. They look very nice, but there seems to be very little user feedback around.

RickP

Gold Member
Got to test out a steambent walnut set at the last Chicago Vintage Drum Show.
Superb build quality and they sound excellent. Very expensive though ( more than a DW exotic veneer kit in same sizes). If you can afford it they are excellent.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I know he buys his stave shells from Daville Drumworks. So you may be able to get the same drums a bit cheaper by going direct to Daville.

www.davilledrumworks.com
I've seen a lot of Doc Sweeney stuff on social media and it looks beautiful and what little feedback I've read is positive. But, if someone else is building shells for them, that kind of bugs me. They're custom drums with the custom price tag, so I'd want them to be made in house from top to bottom. I know it's not uncommon, but it still bugs me when custom drum makers are using someone else's creation at the core of their product.

Maybe I'm just getting older and crankier and this shouldn't bug me.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Anyone have any experience with Doc Sweeney Drums? Custom shop in California. They look very nice, but there seems to be very little user feedback around.
If you're looking at a similar product, check out Unix Drums too. I have a Unix stave bubinga snare that is amazing. I've played one of their full sets as well and was equally blown away.