Do you think someone way back when used a hi-hat and low boy on their kit?

MrPockets

Gold Member
Like maybe they thought the hi-hat was a fad and didn't want to get rid of the low boy yet.

I'm sure some did. For instance, Thomas Lang uses not only a hi-hat on his left, but custom bells on the right. Lower that shaft to the floor & he's basically playing a Low Boy.

What's funny is now there's a Low Boy beater. Say "low boy" to many drummers today and they'll think of this beater over the hi-hat set up.
I for one would love to have a low boy hi-hat set up. I know DW makes one, but not at the price they're asking.

I wonder, if there had been an internet forum back at the time, just how many pages the thread would be on the debate between using a low boy vs a hi-hat? lol

I would imagine those debated would be pretty epic.

Is that where “high” hat is derived rather than high boy (which was taken) so became high hat then hi hats??

Does it have anything to do with the expression, "giving someone the high hat"? Never even thought of that until now.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.54.51 PM.png

Is a low boy a sock cymbal?
Yes, one and the same.

9S5Ew.jpg

Does it have anything to do with the expression, "giving someone the high hat"? Never even thought of that until now.
Low Boy to a Hi Hat? Makes sense to me as they're doing the same thing as far as foot motion goes. Once it was high, then sticking became a thing.

Could've been sorta of a word play. Going from low boy, which sounds pretty dang pejorative (if Im using that word right, never used it before) to high hat, which around that time was an expression that meant snobbish or feeling above others. I think one of our more clever drumming brothers or sisters from days of yore gave it that name and had a laugh....and it stuck. Good crackpot theory anyway

Back