Do You Seek Approval ?

At times.....yes I do.

I think sometimes it's kinda cool to get a bit of validation.

At times I may not be sure regarding my drum part, so sometimes I like to ascertain whether it works or not in the band setting.

I'm not a naturally gifted drummer and I don't always get things right.

Just because I come up with a drum part, doesn't mean it's going to work.

Last edited:
I don't seek approval as such but it is fortifying when it comes from someone you respect and admire.. As far as being super nice and personable to be appreciated or to get or keep gigs I don't subscribe to that. One should be who they are! The best music is played I believe when the Ego's are checked at the door.

I seek love and friendship-approval would be big stretch. People love me and befriend me despite of my faults and idiocy. I hear BB King in background singing "To know you is to love you"-yeah thanks BB.

No Mommy.
I blew right thru my adolescence with drums- didn't have- no time to question it.

Now today it seems "people" have all kind of time to "question" things. In a way that's not good.
Should be "so busy" you have "no time to think" (as Dylan said) about it
And then after 15-20 years- then- begin to look at what how and with whom you are "doing" (Playing drums) it.

Today the insecurities "start" too early. That's too bad. That'll "stunt" your growth.
"Get out there" and fight the power (drumming-wise) and put the piece's together (or "pick up the pieces" ) later

Last edited:
Nope. I have self confidence and therfore don't require outside approval for validation.

Seek approval? Negative. If people I play with throw a positive comment my way, that's cool, who doesn't like that. If they don't, I still sleep fine and know what I am and what I am not, and I am 100% fine with that.

I will answer this from another angle depending on how exactly the OP meant it........

However, I do think there are a whole lot of folks that seek significant external validation, on the forum, elsewhere on the web, YT, etc. They may call it something else but clinically they are seeking external validation. That isn't a negative necessarily, unless they let it become too large an element of their self-worth.

No. I dont care what other people think about what I do. If they like it, cool. If they dont like it, cool. I do this for me, no one else.

I used to think I don’t seek approval. But I do. I want that applause. I want paid. I want those I work with to feel like I’m doing a good job. I don’t necessarily care if somebody doesn’t like what I’m doing, but I didn’t put all this practice and study into music for 55 years to play only at home and amuse myself.

Back