Do you put a button at the end of every live song?

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Your memory is failing you.... after being the loved Jedi Polly Van Konig you went to the dark side as Darth Roach :).
Haga! Now that it's summer I wish there was a dearth of roaches (and ants)!

Just being serious for a moment, does anyone actually finish every song with a full stop? (I'd not heard "button" until now). If so, it would be pretty mechanistic and unmusical.

I've come across hobby players who just HAVE to play the last note - like Roger Rabbit when Judge Dread taps out Shave and a Haircut and he's desperate to hear the last part of the phrase completed.

A tad OCD if you ask me. Our keys player often needs a full stop at the end of songs ... at times I let the note hang, smile and watch the panic build in his face as he realises the awful truth - OMG, SHE'S NOT GOING TO TIE THE LOOSE ENDS! He starts nodding and mouthing "go on", and if I hold out long enough he plays the note himself.

"I feel evil ♫" ... "if you want trouble, you've come to the right place".

Quiz: the above phrase is from an album by a very famous 60s artist ... who was it? (Hint: the answer is above)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I've always liked to mix up the endings. Don't like too many of one thing. Sometimes we just stop, sometimes we do a little vamp-out, sometimes we write an entire riff just for the purpose of ending a song. Actually, one of my dirty little secrets is how much I get off on the endings of songs. The list of ways to end a song could never be exhausted until you run out of creativity.

Really, my only rule is that if we play an ending live, and people don't "get it" that the song just ended, we need to write a new ending. I have a similar rule about breaks in songs where it's silent for a few moments. If people think the song is over, they get pulled out of whatever level of immersion they were in to clap and cheer. Lot's of ways to infer that there's still more to go, even if it's just by body language.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
In every original band I have been in, we worked out a specific ending for each song.

When I've done gigs with cover bands, nothing was every worked out.

Henri, great graphic!!!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
"I feel evil ♫" ... "if you want trouble, you've come to the right place".

Quiz: the above phrase is from an album by a very famous 60s artist ... who was it? (Hint: the answer is above)
I finally got the quiz Grea :)

It was standing in front of me all this time... well my memory must be playing up too, haga!

An other hint: Elvis was still alive when he said it :)